Guest Reviews: Private vs. Public

in
Orono, ME
Level 10

I am getting annoyed at the number of guests who are leaving me "Private Feedback" which is clearly meant to be their public review. This has been happening to me for a while now and happens often. During the review process, guests are asked to give Private Feedback and then Public Feedback in the next step. Guests simply don't read so the glowing private feedback (which I can tell is clearly intended to be the review) is hidden for my eyes only. And then a short guest-wants-to-wrap-up-this-long-review-process is written in the public review section. 

Is anyone else noticing this? I wish Airbnb would ask guests to Review their stay FIRST and save private feedback for the message thread.

11 Replies

Re: Guest Reviews: Private vs. Public

in
Berlin, Germany
Level 10

@Emilia42   I can live with the glowing feedback being accidentally left private. A lovely compliment need not be for the whole world to see.  But when the switch leaves you with a public review that just says "Thanks for last night! OMG I'm still so sore," that looks super awkward.

Level 10

@Emilia42, @Andrew0 

This just happened to me as well last week.  The guests were a referral from another Superhost.  Absolutely great guests.  They are he## bent on building their guest rating to 5.  I got the private message, but no review posted.  I asked them, they said that they completed the full review.  They even sent a picture, via text, of the 15 lb Rainbow Trout he caught and released. I can share that.

I'm thinking it's another Airbnb systemic glitch.  But then who pays the price again?

@Sybe

@Jenny 

PM me and I'll give you the reservation info and picture, if that helps, so you have a starting point for analysis.

Online Community Manager in
London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

Hi @M199, thanks for sharing this! Would you be able to send me those pieces of info and images, please? I can check this with the tech team most likely, though I might not get answer immediately. 

Kun je niet vinden waar je naar op zoek bent? Klik hier om een gesprek te beginnen!

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

in
NY, NY
Level 10

@Emilia42  You're reading my mind.  I had this recently from - a Superhost in Maine!  I had looked at her listing and she seemed to know what she was doing.  But check this out - clearly she got the two mixed up:

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 9.42.19 PM.png

in
Orono, ME
Level 10

@Ann72 See even some Superhosts can't get it right! It seems to be happening to me more frequently lately and I'm missing out on some really great reviews. 

in
Auchenblae, United Kingdom
Level 10

I had the same last week too - fabulous review posted as private feedback 🫣

in
KCMO, MO
Level 2

Same happened to me a few weeks ago and I just thought it was the guest. But as I see there must be a issue somewhere. Hopefully they fix it.  Clearly this was to be reversed. Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 6.11.58 PM.png

in
Denver, CO
Level 1

I have an issue which requires speaking directly to airbnb support. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Is it just me, or do they make it nearly impossible to talk to a live person?

in
Oklahoma City, OK
Level 2

I am a new host who has experienced the opposite. I thought I was replying to a private thread and instead it ended up being a public response to the guest's review. Not only does my reply not make any sense in response to their review, but it reveals that our newly launched Air B&B had a slight issue with the hot water that I would rather not make public. I called the help line and apparently guests can remove a review under certain circumstances, but hosts cannot remove a response without removing the review it is linked to. It should be pretty easy to see that this was a mistake given that my response didn't actually respond to anything that was said in the review. It looks like 2 completely unrelated conversations that got smashed together.  

in
Berlin, Germany
Level 10

@Don4430   If you were told that hosts can't remove a response without removing the review it's linked to, you were given incorrect advice. You always have the right to remove content that you're the author of, but if all a host had to do to get a guest's review removed was post a response to it, that would be an insanely easy loophole for getting all the negative ones taken down.

Fortunately, the one you're referring to isn't too damaging. If there are issues with the hot water, it would be better to disclose them in the listing than to try to hide them.

in
Oklahoma City, OK
Level 2

Thanks for the advice and the insight Andrew! 

For the sake of clarity, there isn't an ongoing issue with the hot water. There was simply a setting on the tank that needed to be adjusted and we did that immediately. I completely agree that we shouldn't be trying to hide ongoing issues. My response to the guest was meant to be part of a private conversation to help me troubleshoot and remedy the issue in a timely fashion. 

UPDATE: I just got a call back from the representative who has checked further into my issue and is going to remove my response.