Guest WITHOUT Profile photo

Alberto51
Level 3
Portugal

Guest WITHOUT Profile photo

Hi everyone,

I have a guest who made an "instant booking" and who has NO profile photo. Airbnb rules state:

"Airbnb requires the following from every guest: Profile photo"

How was it possible that this person was able to do an "instant booking"? 

Definition of instant booking according to Airbnb: "Guests must still meet Airbnb’s requirements", so, if one of the requirements is having a profile photo, i wonder how tbis situation was possible..

Can anybody help?

Txs

Al

153 Replies 153

Per the Airbnb rules, unless you put it in your house rules that a guest must upload a photo, the guest is not required to do so.  This is one of many reasons I don't do instant book.

Thanks this is a good option, I think I going to stop doing instant booking, thanks I was super worry because I am survivor, but also I had experience one guest trying to flirt with me, I hate to make difficult for the ppl that are good but also I don’t want to get instantly someone that would put my self on risk, have a nice day

Today I felt obligated to exchange my picture because I used to have a single picture but as female survivor I needed to take precautions for this new rule

Absolutely, you need to take care of yourself.  If it's in your "guest rules" you can cancel them without a penalty from Airbnb.  So far, every guest has posted a picture when requested, but I have no problem canceling one who doesn't.  Also, in any communication, use "we", like we look forward to hosting you, or let us know if you need anything.  

I simply email them that we dont accept guests without a photo, and give them 24 hours to post or cancel. They have posted 100% of the time. 

I am survivor of violence therefore this new rules doesn’t protect me.

I called air bnb about an hr or so and they explained me because they don’t accept discrimination that is the reason, I used to have single picture they forced to exchange my picture than  to have better clear picture and knows who is the host.

Let me know if you agree with me he said because sometimes with as host don’t get ppl base on their race, but I told them is not that is base on actitudes and also because they don’t add their government ID, but if they do this for guest they should do this for us also.

We should have our profile ID hide just to see if they would book and when they get our picture after booking let see if they continue with the booking.

I think is taking only one side because if it’s about racist that meant a that we are host from different background also so it would be possibilities that some one would not want to come to a house of the race that they don’t prefer.

In the place that I live there is one girl more like hippie and my picture look more professional so there is chances also that they discriminating her also or also who look cute.

I feel that this picture thing should be voluntary like if they don’t want to show their picture is fine but also if we don’t want to accept them because they don’t have picture is also good, because is not about racist is about safety reasons. 

Please let me know what you think, we should start to call Airbnb and to let their know that we don’t feel this a good options cause we want to know who is coming to our house, specially if you are survivor.

Githa0
Level 2
Cambridge, United Kingdom

I set my booking settings to ID Verified only, yet I'm still receiving bookings on instantbook or booking requests from guests with no profile image or review! I've also read somewhere that Airbnb have changed their settings, meaning hoats can only view profile pictures once a booking has been confirmed? That cannot be right? That leaves hosts vulnerable and at risk - we need to know who is ataying with us, surely? Can anyone help? 

Sasa15
Level 1
Copenhagen, Denmark

I just got the same information.

It seems a little bit strange. I get the whole discrimination issue, but still this is my home! I want to know who I am letting in, before I let them in!

It is true. It’s designed to prevent racial discrimination.

Diane369
Level 2
Wilmington, DE

No photo to identify a guest is a security issue I'm not  comfortable with. I also can not see reviews on an inquiring guest which is making me rethink my association with this site. Believe a hosts comfort and security should be a piority in order to keep AirBnB a growing business. 

As much as I've loved my experience with AirBnB this has caused much anxiety that I don't think should have been put onto my shoulders. Very heavy hearted in considering closing down. 

I will not accept anymore reservations without picture. I am seeing anything from nothing to castles. It’s not professional by Airbnb nor is it ethical. 

I agree! I am really upset that airbnb is doing this new procedure with the profile pictures. I would never discriminate someone but I live alone with my daughter and I really need to know who is caming before acepting the reservation! Additionally that would help me to decide if the guests would be a good fit for me too, I could see a lot with a profile picture, like if they are chubby or tall and according to that I could use a different bed.... etc.... But everything is discrimination and never is security... 

Laura678
Level 4
Boston, MA

We are having the same issue, AirBnB needs to do something about this ASAP. It is crazy to not be able to see a picture before someone can make a booking. This is for hosts safwty and AirBnB is breaking their own rules and leaving their hosts vunerable to scams or worse unsavory guests.

ILIAN-Mar0
Level 2
West New York, NJ

I am really upset that airbnb is doing this new procedure with the profile pictures. I would never discriminate someone but I live alone with my daughter and I really need to know who is caming before acepting the reservation! Additionally that would help me to decide if the guests would be a good fit for me too, I could see a lot with a profile picture, like if they are chubby or tall and according to that I could use a different bed.... etc.... But everything is discrimination and never is security... 

Gretchen51
Level 3
Cookeville, TN

I agree, photo should be required.  Mine was.  I don't want to turn instant booking off, cause 90% of my bookings are instant.  So far, no probs, but....rather see the persons pic to make sure its them when they show up.  Its MY HOUSE!!

Susan673
Level 2
Boston, MA

I knew the no picture policy was not a good idea. Last weekend I accepted a woman who wanted to stay for a boyfriends birthday. She lives in my town. Stayed in my town once before got a good review. They show up lie when I  ask do you still live here. Boyfriend doesn't know its his birthday. They didn't sleep here opened everything pull up at exactly 12 give the key to my son. She's not in the car. I spent 300$ on a Sunday to change to code key. I am in fear of retalization and refuse to give a review. She gives me my first really bad review and Airbnb has to print it. They can see how fresh she was as I made her answer questions on the thread. I would love to find out if other host in Providence have been broken into lately. Some airbnb are just for rental some aren't. Enough for everyone to get a booking. This is a very dangerous policy and not supporting the hosts at all. If i had seen her sexy 19 year old selfie I would not have booked her. They are always trouble but this is much worse.