Guest WITHOUT Profile photo

Alberto51
Level 3
Portugal

Guest WITHOUT Profile photo

Hi everyone,

I have a guest who made an "instant booking" and who has NO profile photo. Airbnb rules state:

"Airbnb requires the following from every guest: Profile photo"

How was it possible that this person was able to do an "instant booking"? 

Definition of instant booking according to Airbnb: "Guests must still meet Airbnb’s requirements", so, if one of the requirements is having a profile photo, i wonder how tbis situation was possible..

Can anybody help?

Txs

Al

153 Replies 153
Guy268
Level 2
Las Cruces, NM

Forcing a pic is bull**bleep**.  **bleep** off BNB.

Dude—your profile pic is exactly what we’re talking about.

Linda664
Level 2
Kaiapoi, New Zealand

For instant bookings I only accept people with government I.D   .  If someone requests to stay who hasn't got proper I.D. I have it written in my listing that they must email me a copy of their passport. 

Monica-and-Myriam0
Level 2
Marblehead, MA

I'm OK with withholding photos to avoid racial profiling, but I'm not OK with dropping the photo requirement entirely. We can now opt to block reservations for people who don't have photos, but this definitely feels like a move where AirBnB is moving more and more responsibility onto the host to screen guests. Also, if we want the names of all guests, we have to ask the guests to provide them now. When I was  guest last October, I was required to enter the names and contact info of the people with whom I was traveling, but that seems to have changed. I always take care to screen as much as I can, but having to ask guests for photos and names just feels lousy, and like AirBnB is moving further away from the original mission of building a mutually accountable community. 

Almost all my guests always show as 1 guest, and it’s not until I ask that I find out there’s 1 or more accompanying them, I don’t understand why they don’t accurately list how many guests they are booking for.  One guest (thank God I asked) was going to bring a total of 7 persons even though my listing specifically specifies 2 guests.  Why is it ok for our pictures to be published, but not theirs?

Susan673
Level 2
Boston, MA

It's easy for Airbnb to watch for racial profiling. The young woman was going to say racism and use it against me but she couldn't because her creepy boyfriend who returned my key saw my son who is the same color. The policy is dangerous. If I saw the boyfriends picture I would of declined. Total thug. I love Marblehead!

Kim837
Level 1
Austin, TX

We need to petition airbnb to allow us to see the photos again. I do not feel comfortable ototherwise. After 4 years of airbnb I can now tell by the photo if there is something unusual they are hiding, and now the photos are gone. 

We feel much more comfortable when guests send a profile photo of themselfs. I wish Airbnb would make it manditory. 

Deborah505
Level 2
Concord, NH

My last 2 instant bookings have no real profile photo.  It should NOT be my responsibility to make an issue out of no photo.  I see that as Airbnb's job.  They should review everyone's profile photo.  Surely there are programs to discern faces. We should not have to be the bad guys.  Hello. Airbnb????

Charlie240
Level 1
Lucca, Italy

I'm not a host, but a guest. I came to this thread because I discovered that hosts are allowed to refuse or even cancel a booking for someone without a profile photo and was really shocked to know that was permissible.

My wife and I are in our 70s and have been using AirBnb a lot over the past few years. I like the notion of making a personal connection with the owner and, in fact, I tend to use apartments where the owner self-manages whenever possible. I have a profile and it includes a photo... but...

I can't actually think of any valid reason a host would need to see a photo other than some sort of discrimination. Some folks on this thread think there are valid reasons, such as being able to tell whether somebody is a suspicious character. I'm a little dubious about such a claim. I think it usually means the person doesn't look like oneself in some way or another.

But discrimination is not the only reason that people don't post photos. Plenty of women are trying to stay hidden from abusive ex-spouses or boyfriends. It seems entirely proper that such a person may not post a photo.

It seems to me that anyone using AirBnb should be free to post as little or as much about themselves as they like. If the absence of some info (photo, life story, etc.) causes you to reject the booking, then so be it. At least then nobody can accuse you (for example) of discrimination because you saw the picture and then cancelled.

It's also worth noting that AirBnb is an international company. It can be sued in lots of different national jurisdictions under different laws. It seems quite natural that they would not want to be the ones to filter out your unwanted guests for you. The legal side of it would just be too complicated.

One last thing... if AirBnb wants to know the names of all my guests, then they have to stop sending advertising to everyone whose info I enter. I initially used to list my wife, who has a different last name. But after she was dunned with solicitations to sign up for AirBnb herself, I stopped responding to the part that asks for the names of guests. I simply tell the host that I'm coming with my wife and nobody has ever batted an eye at that.

Finally, there is that: AirBnb asks you to write to the host when you attempt to book. Plus there is the profile. If you  don't like what you see, then don't accept the booking.

My two cents as an unaffected but interested member. YMMV.

Hey Charlie, very well written post.  The ONLY reason I put in my house rules that a profile picture is required before arrival, is to ensure the person "booking" is the person who shows up at my door.  Most of my guests who are booking for others tell me this upfront, but, I have had persons show up who did not match the profile picture, and were turned away.  If there is a pic, I can do a screen-shot, to show AirBnb that the person booking was NOT the person who showed up; as a Host, we lose Superhost status for one year for even one cancellation.

i'll tell you why Charli261.  i'm sick of people booking for other people.  like Jaxon i too want to see who is staying at my place.  NEVER suggest its for discrimination reasons as i don't give a rats what people look like!!  take your 2 cents worth elsewhere, discussion closed!

Our listing is for bedrooms in our home.  Anyone staying with us is a guest in our home.  Is asking too much to expect to know who I am opening my home to?  

Let me ask you this Charlie, would you let strangers into your home who refused to identify themselves when they were requesting to schedule their stay?

We have had great experiences getting to know our guests and have had only good people stay here.  But we only accept people who are willing to follow the rules.  Ours and Airbnb’s.

If you don’t choose to reveal who you are please stay somewhere else.

Susan1441
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

Why can't all of us HOSTS band together and demand that Airbnb do something about this?  I have had one guest book with no photo and I was very suspicious about them but they turned out to be a lovely family.  I'm sure this may not be the case for everyone.  I'm getting over Airbnb dictating who I can have at MY place.    

Jana-and-Joe0
Level 2
Satellite Beach, FL

i changed my profile picture to a written note that says i will not be accepting any new guests...no "strangers without a face" 

if every host who disagreed with this policy did the same, they would have no hosts left.