Guest accused us of stealing after we made a damages claim

Cassandra22
Level 3
Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt

Guest accused us of stealing after we made a damages claim

A guest, who had his sexual advances rejected by a member of my team, has now accused that member of stealing his jewelry.

This accusation came 4 days after check out and the guest has left a review full of lies.

I am sure this is because his advances were rejected. My employee has been with me for 9 years and he has never let me down.

The whole thing resulted in my listing being suspended due to 2 bad reviews. The first bad review complained we didn't speak French, we are in Egypt!

What can we do when guests blatantly lie and post such nonsense resulting in AIRBNB punishments? I am tired of spending hours corresponding with AIRBNB over such obvious nonsense. Thinking seriously to take down our 21 listings.

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

How frustrating for you. Presuming you reported the sexual harrassment by this guest at the time of the incident to Airbnb, I am suprised they would let a retalitory review take place. So frustrating for you. and awful for your staff member.

Perhaps give Airbnb a call and discuss.

My staff member was too embarassed to tell me, at least until I mentioned the theft accusation. Even then the other staff member at the check out had to push him to tell me.

It's a very sensitive issue here, he being Egyptian and the advances came from a Canadian man and his Egyptian boyfriend. The straight men here see it as shameful, hence why he didn't tell me.

I am reporting the whole thing to AIRBNB,  the hassle and time that takes is what I am growing very tired of, refuting outrageous claims/lies/reviews can take hours and hours of time.

Copying and pasting, phone calls, messages to AIRBNB resolution centre and so on.

Yawn yawn yawn but seems to be no other option 😞

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Cassandra22  Seems like this is not the platform for your type of business.  With over 20 listings it appears that you do not get a lot of bookings from Air BNB anyway.   Best of luck to you!!

Yes, some properties rent a lot more than others. We've had around 230 from AIRBNB in peak 3 summer months so it's not too bad but funnily enough I was thinking same thing just last night!

Might pause everything and look into ToKeet or even Booking.com.

Hmm what do do, for sure I am tired of nasty lying guests.