Guest arrived then immediately left but never officially cancelled

Guest arrived then immediately left but never officially cancelled

I had a guest leave within minutes of their two day weekend stay upon entering the apartment and smelling the scent of ciggerate smoke.  They said they had severe asthma (and they did not mention this until arriving), could smell the smoke, and suffered an asthma attack while in the apartment.  Although we have one smoking incident 3 months ago inside the aparment, we have not since then.  Personaly I cannot smell smoke but I do believe its possible someone sensitive can pick up on smells/irritants that others are not.

Two questions:

1. Should I refund their money? 

2. Are hosts on the hook for all asthma/allergy issues a guests has? 

My listing says no pets, no smoking, etc. but there is no way I can guarentee 100%that someone will not bring a pet and/or smoke in my home.  I want to add something in my listing that states there are no guarentees, this home may contain allergens... 

14 Replies 14
Beth44
Level 10
Flagstaff, AZ

I had a guest who had a severe sensitivity to aromas ( fresh lavender, candles and cleaning products) that made her stay uncomfortable for her, although I never learned of it until they left after their reserved time. I learned this by having to search for all the items mentioned and more, that were moved to drawers and an outside patio. Had I known of her sensitivity I could have 1) accomodated by removing aromas (except obvious cleaning odors) and/or 2) suggested my listing was not the best fit for her.  So do your guests bear some burden for not informing you that their needs to have smoke free place? I would say its your call and if you posted your listing as non-smoking. Do you offer a refund? Thats your call. I would suggest sending a message offering your apologies (I personally called one guest about an embarrassing issue that was my error). The aroma sensitive guest did not ask for a refund and she stayed as planned, so I did not offer a refund but thanked her for alerting me to aroma sensitiovituy issues. I try to let my conscience rule in difficult guest situations like this. My other thought (this is an editorial one) is that situation like this could be sorted out in advance and you do not have instant booking. A question to the potential guest, like do you have any special needs that would help make your stay comfortable?

We seemed to be held to a higher standard that most hotels and its become frustrating because we don't control most of the transaction. I've had a guest do the same to me and it was a private room in a house...he was sensitive to smells and hid and unplugged all manners of pleasant scents in my house. But, why did he not mention that upon booking? He acted as if he was the only one in my house and his needs came before everyone elses. Hotels will not ask if a person is sensitive to smells and frequently have a scent wafing throughout the property.

I did not offer a refund. It was there job to mention it ahead of time. I can't think for every person that books my listing.

@Zacharias0  thanks!  I have had some guests tell me ahead of time or ask about the apartment due to their medical issues.  I always try to do what I can but there is a limit.

@Beth44  I further tweaked my message below upon reading your message:

Guests with allergies and related medical issues and/or sensitivities- cleanliness is one of our top priorities however we are unable to 100% guarantee that the apartment is free of pet dander, cigarette smoke, air fresheners/cleaning product scents, and any other elements that may trigger a medical problem or sensitivity.  If you have severe allergies, asthma, or a sensitivity, please let us know prior to making a reservation.  Also note that we cannot issue refunds due to the reasons above.

I am always upfront with guests with they inquire.  One group asked me if there was any feather/ down material in an apartment.  I went around checking the pillow and bedding tags before I quit and said there was no way I could guarentee that.  Some things are out of my scope- and I'm OKAY with that.  : )

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Yeah- I would offer no refund.  If they left and didn't ask for one, keep the money.  I would not even offer or bring it up.  It is a HOME, not a hotel.  They booked without disclosing the issue, they were to have read your listing and decide if that would be the right fit for them...at Airbnb you do not get a walk-thru beforehand to decide if it is what you are looking for and you don't in a hotel, either.  Enjoy having your place to yourself and being paid for it.  This week I had two cancellations---I have a strict cancellation policy and once my calendar opened back up the space was booked again...not on your life am I racing to the guests who cancelled saying, "GEE...SAW YOU CANCELLED AND I HAPPEN TO HAVE REBOOKED THE SPACE, HERE IS YOUR MONEY BACK."  Nope.  I venture to guess hotels make most of their profit by cancellations and rebooks, so just leave it alone...lol!!!

@Joanna85  I did not offer a refund, they had asked for one.  After evaluating the circumstances, I am only refunding their cleaning fee and that is it. 

Side note- I had someone just cancel 10 days prior because his friends didnt want to stay and pitch in money. He wanted me to adjust my strict policy, saying you will likely get it booked.  I said sorry, that's not how I operate.  He tried to change his reservation from two days to one, from 6 guests to 1 guest- I'm guessing so he could later cancel at a lower penalty.  I told him I was applying my strict policy to all reservation alterations (something I have never done before).  He ended up just canceling which was best for both of us (no bad review).

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ingrid-and-Mike0

Get smoke alarms installed and point out in you introductory leaflet, that tampering with the smoke alarm is a very serious offence and there is absolutely no smoking with the four walls of you property.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ingrid-and-Mike0 if you are non smoker and you don't smell smoke then it is possible that your guest just invented a reason for leaving and asking for a refund .

If he is so allergic that he would get asthma attack from a smell that nobody else can't notice then how is he able to survive on the street with traffic? 

@Branka-and-Silvia0

Thanks for your insight- you make a very valid point!  Sometimes its hard to see what's really going on if you've never experienced a situation before.  I have had guests ask me in the past about my apartments because they have an allergy, etc.  I always tell them we cannot guarentee the apartment will be suitable for them.  This guest said nothing of their severe asthma. 

I added the following for my listing (it might be overkill but I want to put it out there):

Guests with allergies and related medical issues- cleanliness is one of our top priorities and we strictly enforce our no smoking rule however we are unable to 100% guarantee that the apartment is free of pet dander and any other elements that may trigger a medical problem.  If you have severe allergies and/or asthma, please note that we cannot issue refunds due to the reasons above.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is very interesting!

Have you actually heard back from them @Ingrid-and-Mike0

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Ingrid-and-Mike0 heh, yes, every new experience brings a new house rule :)))

You can maybe shorten it a bit: .... we are unable to 100% guarantee that the apartment is free of any allergen. If you have severe... etc...

Having been in a number of hotels over the years, proprieters will claim that no one has smoked in their rooms and that they don't smoke which is a crock  to any non-smoker, epecially ones with allergies.  And allergies shouldn't have to be disclosed when renting a non-smoking property.  Accept responsibility and refund the money.  I am dealing with this right now from the customer standpoint and it's really frustrating.  This is the first time it's happened with AirBnB. The lying is ridiculous coming from adults.

BTW, there is no getting rid of smoke once it's been smoked in, especially if regularly.

@Madeline28  I consider my apartment to be smoke free and I have no smoking defined in my rules...  However, there is no way I (or Airbnb hosts in general) can 100% control the environment, i.e. can stop someone from smoking or doing whatever they please in my apartment when I'm not there.  Case in point- this weekend I found cat or small dog poop in a bedroom closet of the apartment that has a NO PET POLICY.  I guess I need to now add to the listing, "If you have a severe pet allergies, please do not reserve this apartment...".

This guest said they had an "extreme smoking allergy".  If I had an extreme ailment, I would stay at a hotel where management could switch my room in a second, especially if I was traveling with friends/family.  I would not stay at an exclusive Airbnb. 

I accepted responsibility when I paid to have every surface of my apartment deep cleaned to include washing the walls with a vinegar mix, having all of the rugs and couches professionally cleaned, and changed out the air filter multiple times.  I consider myself sensitive to smoke (but I am not allergic) and I cannot smell smoke inside.  

I came to an agreement with the guest to refund half. My personal case is closed. Now that I have become more aware and have updated my listing accordingly, I am better prepared as a host (for the next time : ).

It has been years since this thread opened, but the challenge remains the same.

I have a home share. I am offering a gorgeous room as an LTR. A prospective guest has already speaking of high sensitivities. This is a non smoking home. But what about the neighbours smoking? Things I have no control over. So, no.