Guest asking for refund or bad review

Walid20
Level 2
Beirut Governorate, Lebanon

Guest asking for refund or bad review

Hello my guest has been nagging all day there is a problem in the maids room bathroom I asked him not use it it is already not mentioned on Airbnb and was never mentioned. There are 4 other bathrooms. Ever since the guest started asking for a refund. I offered him free laundry free house cleaning free extra nights or whenever he books later offered him someone to spray the kitchen although I think he is lying about the insect but I cant tell him that because guests comfort is my priority at the morning he said ok i dont want anything and now he sent me asking for refund 2 nights or he will write a review I believe this is shameful to threaten me to refund or he writes a bad review. Even before he booked he asked me to remove the extra guests fees and I removed them although they are 7 and my house accommodates 6 with baby and provided him with everything ever since but to get threatened on Airbnb I dont think this is with the rules of Airbnb to be threatened to get money back. 
And even though I asked them not to use the bathroom and the area beside it they over used the washing machine and the water broke on my neighbours below me in the 5th and 4th floors and I asked them to get maintainence to fix it in an hour they refused to have us take them to the laundry for free although we charge laundry services. I really dont understand the reason for nagging all time for money back and not for a solution or accepting my solutions.
As to the insects it is winter now and I live in the same building there are no cockroaches in this cold winter and the apartment was cleaned before they checked in. But if they left food outside we all know that flies might come. I never got such guests and I am a superhost people always praised me and not threatened me for money.
Why did he accept to stay in the morning and said ok thank you then now returned back asking for money

I sent airbnb their help is very slow been more than 20 hours waiting for reply back. Airbnb took it as a cleanliness issue and didnt take into consideration the threatening for the money bac

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 3.40.54 PM.png

9 Replies 9

If I was threatened like this I would tell him to go jump. Let him write his review,  you have the option to reply. You can put down that he tried to extort money out of you by blackmail 

Micheal3
Level 1
Waikato, New Zealand

That's sad to hear mate.  I have a similar situation right now where the dishwasher is not working and the guests are not happy with the spa.  I explained that the spa is working perfectly and is good to use, but for whatever reason they're still not happy with it.  I also explained that being the 1st Jan it is going to be very difficult to get someone in to fix the dishwasher during their two night stay, however they claim these two things have ruined their stay and they want a third of what they paid back.  To be clear my place is a large Lodge over looking a beautiful lake, with incredible view and out door dining.  It's the middle of summer here and I can't imagine even wanting to use the spa right now as it's so hot and we've swimming in the lake everyday! They are due to leave this morning so I will not reply to them till after this time as I do not want to upset them until they have left the house.  I will offer them a small refund (not a third of what they paid) and explain that I accept that this will likely mean a negative review, however that this goes both ways given I feel they are being very unreasonable. Ahhh...the joys of hosting!

@Micheal3

lack of dishwasher during the 2 night stay, on the lake, in the summer, over New year ruined their stay .

wow!

Yea, I have to head in there this morning and explain to them that whilst I'm happy to offer $120 refund for any inconvience this is the best I can do, which no doubt will result in a negative review! 

TracieandJason0
Level 8
Philadelphia, PA

@Micheal3 

Either you refund them and they still give you an unfavorable review or you don't refund them, keep the money as compensation for loss in other bookings, the headache they are causing you and they leave a crazy review which will either be in the guidelines for later removal or other potential guest will scoff at anyways. Good luck!

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/548/what-is-airbnb-s-extortion-policy?q=extortion

It's probably worth checking if their message qualifies as extortion, 

• "Guests threatening to use reviews or ratings in an attempt to force a host to provide refunds, additional compensation, or a reciprocal positive review."
Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Walid20

I'm curious what the result was....did your guest get to leave a review or did airbnb view the message as extortion?  Did you or airbnbn give a refund?

Nicole1064
Level 2
Johannesburg South, South Africa

I just had my first guests who has been difficult, they have not followed any of the rules. Went into another unit snooping around, I have an alarm in the unit and when I asked who accessed the flat they said sorry they were just looking.  They forced my electrict gate open without unlocking the motor first to operate manually, this caused caused the track to break,  I had to get someone out for repairs at my own exspense.  

They are now claiming that it was not their fault, they left a day earlier and they have now send me their banking details for a refund.  i will most probably get a bad review becuase I pointed out that they cause and issue.  I have a full alarm system and had to contnously remind them to activate the alarm when they leave the proeprty to go out.

This is my 1st guest and I have not yet been paid by Air BnB I believe it could take up to 30 days.  I have accomodated the guest in every way I can but everything seems to have been a problem.  I have rented our property out privately with no complaints......  it would seem that guests think they can do what they want and if the host doesnt like it then they just give you a bad review.......

Question:  can Air BnB not pay our if you get a bad review for what ever reason?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Nicole1064

I think from the questions you are asking you must be new to Airbnb (it does take a bit of getting used to). Please do read through the Airbnb Help centre paying particular attention to its cancellation policy, reviews and making a claim through the resolution centre. You really need to familiarise yourself with this to get the best out of Airbnb and avoid costly mistakes.

Firstly you need to leave an honest review about this guest and their behaviour including the going into another listing (by the way how did they get it - was it not locked?) and that they left your property at risk by not activating the alarm.

You should also be raising a claim through the resolution centre for the cost of fixing the gate (you need to do this before your next guest arrives)

Why would you refund them for their last night stay? Unless you have a flexible policy and they gave you advance warning you don't need to refund them.

And of course you will get paid out regardless of the review the guest leaves.