Guest avoids us

Rachael12
Level 2
Maxville, MT

Guest avoids us

I just had my third guest and she avoided making any contact with us after she arrived. I had wanted to just say hello to make her feel welcome and I thought it would be easier for both of us to write reviews with at least one minute of face-to-face time. I didn't know at the time that she wanted COMPLETE PRIVACY - absolutely no contact. She checked in late (keyless entry), said they would be sleeping in the next day, then jumped in the car and left without a word. She knew we wanted to say hello or goodbye. She didn't even message me that they were leaving, which we ask all our guests for. I had offered to extend her stay so they could get a little extra rest and she did not respond. So when they left, I didn't know if they were planning to return. Eventually, I went ahead and cleaned the cabin. So no problems in the cabin. They were clean and barely used it. I wondered why someone would be so anti-social - secret lover, fugitive, abduction, . . . And I guess, except for her being in danger, it's none of my business, which brings me to wonder if I should somehow offer them a No Contact request instead of asking to meet them.

3 Replies 3

Hi @Rachael12, to be honest, I think you're over analysing the situation a little bit. You're new to hosting but I think you will come across this a lot more often, as some guests just don't want or feel the need to interact (maybe one of their reasons for not booking a hotel, not wanting to be around other guests or hotel staff - perhaps your keyless entry check-in procedure attracted them to your listing...) At the end of the day, you won't know what your guests circumstances are, why they're there, what they have going on etc, there are many reasons for someone to want their privacy, and if they make it clear that they don't want to be bothered you should just respect that. Unless there is something suspicous about their behaviour that you find alarming - but I wouldn't regard being a little withdrawn as suspicious. You obviously got a vibe from them that the didn't want to be disturbed, so when this happens again, just leave them to it. If a guest wants you to interact with them, I'm sure they'll let you know. 

I think I've found a way to put them at ease, which is what I'm after, without any mistaken expectations on either side. Yes, I'm new at this, and I want my guests to feel comfortable. Maybe this: "We would like to say hello if you would knock at the house when you arrive. But if we aren't home or if you simply prefer your privacy, you will still be able to let yourself into the cabin using the keyless entry code we will provide to you."

Hi,

You could get rid of the keyless entry 🙂 then you would have to meet them to give the key and you can show around.