Guest being allowed to leave responses to reviews after the 14 days!

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Guest being allowed to leave responses to reviews after the 14 days!

We had a guest who simply refused to follow the house rules - bringing in additional guests; not removing shoes; leaving the place a mess; staining bed linen and more...even after being reminded other people were not allowed, they brought them in the second night and complained how because they didn't read the rule that it was unreasonable!

We wrote a review within the required time period but the guest did not.  The notice came up that the review period had been closed.

Airbnb did return to us a portion of the security deposit due to the stained linens and burnt frying pan.

Today we see he has been allowed to write a long response to our review, bad-mouthing us and asserting that our house rules didn't say what they say (for over the last 5 years).

Why would Airbnb allow him to do that?  We'll be calling Airbnb to complain and ask that they take it down but this guy is a real jerk.

3 Replies 3
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

The review response will not affect you, @Cherie71 . Your own future guests will never see it -- there is no link between you and him from your site because he did not leave a review. If he tries to book with another host, that other host will see his response, but it sounds like the sort of rant that all of us would recognise as lashing out. 

Only the guest looks bad. He has sullied his own page. I wouldn't worry about it. Save your calls to Airbnb for the big things. 

@Cherie71 Everyone has the right to post a public response to a review, and the 14 day window doesn't apply to responses. As @Lawrene0 says, this won't be visible on your listing anyway so there's no reason to think it will affect your business. 

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Thanks for the responses and for educating me on the ability to write responses to reviews.  This guest was simply awful to communicate with and his review response just made me angry.  We had a large tray of homemade sugar cookies in the shape of polar bears on the table when they arrived and the place was immaculate.  Then to be treated like he treated the apartment and us - well - I know this isn't a unique story to hosts but still irritating.  Thanks again.