Guest booked for 6 people & an infant but they informed that there will be 7, a 4 yr.old and a baby

Answered!
Gary193
Level 2
Madrid, Spain

Guest booked for 6 people & an infant but they informed that there will be 7, a 4 yr.old and a baby

Can anyone help? I was looking through the discussions and did not see anything about my problem.  

A guest booked my place for 6 adults and an infant.  I have a maximum of 6 people as we only have 5 beds.  The reservation was confirmed by instant booking yesterday.  

Today I was contacted by another person from another profile ( someone that is travelling with them ) and they asked about extra beds etc. because they are actually 7 adults, a 4 year old and a baby.  They told me that they booked only 6 because otherwise they could not make the booking as I have a 6 person limit on my listing.  I sent a message saying that they should cancel because the house does not have the capacity for the number of people that have planned to come.  

I do not want to cancel the booking as I read that they are the ones that should cancel the booking and also I dont want it to appear as if I was cancelling the booking.

I want to cancel the booking as soon as possible because they have mistaked the number of people coming firstly and secondly now I just dont feel comfortable with their reservation.  Also I want to free up those dates as soon as possilbe to see if I can get another booking.  This reservation is in 2 weeks time.

Is there a way to cancel this reservation without being penalized by AirBnb as they obviouly booked in 6 people but more are planning to come?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Gary193

Your guests have been rather dishonest making a booking for 6 adults and a baby when in fact there booking is for  8 people and a baby.

You are right as a host you should never cancel the booking unless there are extenuating circumstances and in this situation the guest is completely at fault.

If you were to cancel you would be penalised (see host cancellations - Airbnb Help Centre).

You are right to tell the guests they should cancel.

Make sure you keep all communications to Airbnb messaging so there is a record of your conversations. Message the guest who booked back and confirm that your place takes a maximum of 6 people but you understand from one of the party that they actually have eight people in the party plus a baby and therefore they can't be accommodated at your listing. Ask them to cancel.

Alternatively, you can call Airbnb explain what has happened and see if they can help cancel the booking.

Good luck

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Gary193

Your guests have been rather dishonest making a booking for 6 adults and a baby when in fact there booking is for  8 people and a baby.

You are right as a host you should never cancel the booking unless there are extenuating circumstances and in this situation the guest is completely at fault.

If you were to cancel you would be penalised (see host cancellations - Airbnb Help Centre).

You are right to tell the guests they should cancel.

Make sure you keep all communications to Airbnb messaging so there is a record of your conversations. Message the guest who booked back and confirm that your place takes a maximum of 6 people but you understand from one of the party that they actually have eight people in the party plus a baby and therefore they can't be accommodated at your listing. Ask them to cancel.

Alternatively, you can call Airbnb explain what has happened and see if they can help cancel the booking.

Good luck

I have messaged them but they have not cancelled or replied, will see what happens today.  Thanks Helen for your help!

@Gary193 Since you have the proof that the guest lied about total no. of people, you should contact Airbnb directly like @Helen3 suggests and tell them you are "not comfortable hosting that guest" because the guest is planning to bring more people than you allow and have Airbnb cancel so that you are not penalized. Good luck~

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2022/how-do-penalty-free-cancellations-work-for-instant-book-hos...

Thanks so much for your response.  I have looked at your link and was very helpful.  I am unsure how I contact AirBnb directly about this problem?  

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Gary193

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245/hi...

We have a house that has room for 6 with a sofa bed in the sitting room. But, we only advertise it for 4, because we still get people saying 'there are 5 of us and a dog'. When we listed it for 6, we would get people wanting to bring 8 guests!

You might want to lower the limit on numbers, knowing you can still let more stay (and charge for the extras).

@Ben205 @Gary193 There is no rule - I get a lot of inquiries if my guest will not have to share the room since it is for max 4 people, and they are a solo traveller. And never have I had any extension. 😉

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

I'm having a similiar issue now.  The gal that wanted my apartment was able to figure out how to get me to call her by emailing me her phone number in words instead of numbers.  Well I did call her and she said she couldn't book because I only have room for 5, and she has 7 kids.

after speaking with her I told her i would send an offer through Airbnb, which  was a deal because I do ask for an additional $10 per night for extra guests,  and she did accept the offer through Airbnb.  But when Airbnb sent me he reservation it was for less. So I requested additional money through Airbnb.  She called me back and asked why. According to her Airbnb ccharged her more. So I removed the request..  I checked her reservation again and it shows 1 guest.  I did comminicate again to her through Airbnb and asked her to change number of people. Haven't heard from her.  

@Barbara729  Change the guest count and send it to her for approval if she does not approve it call AirBnB before she turns up. Did she say how many adults?

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

For Superhosts (they will verify you):

North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Barbara729

Welcome! I was just wondering if you've seen Letti's reply to your question? How did everything go for you? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen