Guest bringing more people

Gary480
Level 2
Athlone, Ireland

Guest bringing more people

Hi All, 

I have a guest who initially booked for his family (2 adults 4 children). My house has two double beds and 4 single beds so more than enough beds. Now he has told me his sister is coming too (bringing the total to 10 people) and is asking for 2 extra beds? I'm not really inclined to comply with this request as it is a bit ridiculous to change after the initial booking. Granted his booking is not until August and I could possibly arrange something... How would you all approach this situation? 

9 Replies 9
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Gary480 I would tell him that the max capacity is 8 people and I wouldn't be able to bring extra beds. I would also tell him to correct the number of guests in the reservation and only guests added there could stay. Also possibly offer him a full refund if he cancels since you will get booked by August for sure and this guest seems demanding so you will save yourself the trouble. 

Thank you for the helpful reply!

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Gary480

Try going to your local supermarket, taking a bag of potatoes to the cashier then ask/demand she/he scans the bag then makes them into thick cut chips for you....

You can 

1. Stick strictly to your rules, 6 people max in the house. Guest can find an additional place for the excess bods to stay or considering cancelling. You can even get airbnb to do this on your mark by calling up and using your 'uncomfortable with guest' joker as they are sundering your house rules even before they arrive.

2. Roll over and possibly arrange something

3. Roll over and possibly arrange something asking for the appropriate emolument to cover additional services rendered and compensation for extra people using the facilities.

The thing is, the guests holiday planning has suddenly been partially delegated and now became your problem. If you can deal with that ball ache, consider option 3, if not, option 1.

Maybe more 'delegation' would be in the pipeline though with opt 3, that's how mission creep begins.

Thank you, Elena! This is very helpful. Most likely I will have to go with option 1! 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Wow @Gary480 You're charging £48 a night for up to 6 people (I can only add 6 adults to your listing) - then they 'want' more beds to bring 10?!

Tell them No! Even at £48 a night for 6 they're already having the best laugh. After that, are they expecting to pay anything or will they want to pay a maximum of £8 per person pro-rata?

You are going to lose next to nothing if they cancel. These people will cause you so many problems. Tell them they can't have more than 6 people. Period. Then tell them that any unauthorised guests are charged at £50 per person per night - to cover the eventuality.

Your house rules don't cover extra visitors, extra guests, unauthorised guests on site.. anything. If all 10 turn up - what will you do?

Thanks for the helpful reply. I know, it's cheap but unfortunately, the demand in the area isn't amazing. You're right though, I will look at my house rules and make some adjustments to be more clear. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Gary480  I would tell them oh so politely, that you're really sorry, but the house isn't large enough to accommodate 10 people, that's why the listing is set for a max of 6, in order for guests to be comfortable.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Gary480 Are you even making any money at all hosting 6 people for 48 Euros/night after paying for all their hot showers, electric usage, soap, toilet paper, beding and towels laundry? 

I had a guest Merle p.Tucker/merle hoffman/merle tucker Reservation # HMAFF5J53M  who stayed at my home longer than the check out date that it says Merle checked out by.  She was to check out on a Wednesday but instead checked out on Friday morning around 4:30am.  When you speak with this guest she is very personable and very articulate with great stories.  So you can not help but enjoy speaking with her... then you accidentally find out how many people and animals are really at your home.

How does a host add the extra days she stayed especially if the reservation has already happened?  And Airbnb has already paid for that reservation?

So (#1)  - She remained at my home past her check-out date.  

Does Airbnb have a way to charge the guest for the extended days she remained at the home?  

Also (#2) - On the reservation this guest reserved the home for "2 dogs" and "2 people"  in reality this guest had placed around 76 dogs inside my home not including little puppies;  on my reservation profile it clearly states that the first dog is free but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, ...etc...  is a $25.00 charge.  

What does Airbnb do in a case like this?  

How does Airbnb add the dog fee?

Also (#3)  because of the animals this guest had to hire workers to help her with transporting dogs; feeding; etc... so this guest hired workers/employee's;  took the hinges off my door and broke into my private (no guest usage written in the profile owners garage and owners closet)  the employees stole items from inside  the owners garage and owners closet.

How does Airbnb protect the host and help get back  the stolen items or help to reimburse for the stolen items?

(#4)  What and How does Airbnb go about to help the host when there is damage this guest has caused?

Between the animals and workers they backed right into my garage door; the dogs   had pretty much they had free range of the inside and outside of my home  running around and jumping  up on my couches; chairs;throw rugs;  eating walls; furniture,  the dogs were shedding, peeing, pooing and some where in heat which ended up getting all over my furniture and carpet and throw carpet, the tile on the inside of my home and on the outside of my home.  

What or how does Airbnb have to help the host to get my home free from the smell, clogged pipes, clogged filter on the a/c; my washing machine had hair stuck to the inside of it is there any help from Airbnb for all the damage these dogs have and are costing me to get my home back up to par. Although because of the blood and urine I do not think my upholstered living room couch and chairs and wool throw carpet can be saved. My leather couches have claw marks and bites; my walls have bite marks from the dogs.

I have cords chewed; etc.

The guest claimed she was renting my home with only two dogs and two people.  

She had an RV up at my home; she stayed longer (past) her check-out date.  

I am trying to get home home free from the smells;damage; etc.  

How does Airbnb go about to charge this guest for all the damage she has caused?

How does Airbnb cover the host for opening up her home with open arms only to have  damage this person has caused costing more then that of the current reservation ?

PLEASE ADVISE

PLEASE Help! 

I am totally  beside myself.

M.chelle Dimitro

951-764-7663 

chellefish99@gmail.com

40050 Camino Arroyo Seco Road

Temecula, CA 92592