Guest brings a child after my listing specifies not suitable for children under 12.

Kathryn489
Level 2
Denver, CO

Guest brings a child after my listing specifies not suitable for children under 12.

Am I held liable for any injuries sustained to a child if a guest shows up with a 3 year old when it is stated in my listing that my place is not suitable for children under 12 years of age?

Please help asap!

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can contact the guest and ask them why they have bought a three year to stay in the listing who is not on the booking and against your house rules @Kathryn489 

you can ask Airbnb to cancel the booking and have the guest leave 

Kathryn489
Level 2
Denver, CO

Thank you for your help Helen3.  I contacted Airbnb to discuss.  They contacted guest and cancelled reservation w/o penalizing me.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

In answer to your question about liability, @Kathryn489 , I would venture the answer that yes you are liable.  You are responsible for whatever happens on your property.  Does the guest have responsibility as well, yes, but just because you have a rule that does not absolve you of reasonable enforcement of the rule.  Having Air BNB cancel for you is the right move.

Aneka2
Level 2
Austin, TX

May I ask how that cancellation went down? Do they tell the guest to leave and then you still keep the payment, or at least for the time they stayed or some other minimum? Did the guest try to contact you? I am so curious about the details. I have had instances where I considered getting the guest out as an option but had no idea what to expect.

Kathryn489
Level 2
Denver, CO

I continue my attempt to respond to you Aneka2, but my response does not seem to register.

Kathryn489
Level 2
Denver, CO

Now that the above comment did, I'll attempt again.

Kathryn489
Level 2
Denver, CO

In the end, because we had specified "no children under the age of 12", Airbnb Support contacted this guest and cancelled their reservation at no expense to me.