Guest broke a window in my unit in a high-rise building

Levi90
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Guest broke a window in my unit in a high-rise building

My current guests informed me that "someone" damaged one of my condo's windows. My condo is in a highrise building in the middle of downtown. The window needs to be replaced and can only be installed from the outside. Worse, I've been told that not only will it takes weeks or months to have the window manufactured, but installing it will require the vendor to get permits to block off the sidewalk and street. Airbnb's resolution team has been beyond incompetent thus far. The representative assigned to my case claimed this isn't a big deal because "the damaged can be repair within one day." (The misspelling was his not mine).  

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Levi90 If you don't know who caused the damage it is unclear to me what you expect Airbnb to do.

The guest caused the damage. Just don't know which of the two guests it was. 

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Levi90 

That is going to be extremely expensive to fix.  Have you reported this to your insurance carrier.  If not, do so asap.  From another host, whom we know personally, the insurance company may get involved and deal with Airbnb.  Good Luck.

Levi90
Level 2
San Diego, CA

UPDATE - Airbnb is only offering to pay half of the cost to replace the window claiming that the reduced amount is due to "obsolescence and physical depreciation" of the window. The cost window is only about 15% of the cost of replacement. The other 85% is for the machine rental, permits, insurance, and cost of labor of replacing a window on such a high floor. Having to pay thousands of dollars to replace something my guests admitted to breaking and offered to pay in full is not only wrong but completely unfair. I am beyond disappointed in Airbnb, their representatives handling the case, and this entire process. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.