Guest broke house rules, left early, now asking for full refund

Alexis24
Level 2
Bayfield, CO

Guest broke house rules, left early, now asking for full refund

So I had a guest stay with us for one night over the holiday weekend. They booked for four guests but ended up throwing a party where at least 30 people were in attendance. (We found out later from a neighbor) Our house rules state no parties for good reason. Our well cannot handle large amounts of people and our water is almost non existent when it's constantly in use. Well it was non existent and we gave them several gallons of water to use in case of that happening. They ended up leaving around 11-12pm since they were out of waterband are now asking for a full refund. I don't believe they deserve a full refund due to breaking the house rules. Any advice on what to do?
4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Have you reported the issue to AirBnB - if not, then do so immediately.

Also, keep all correspondence with your guests on the AirBnB platform. In the first instance write to them outlining how they broke the rules and the impact his had on neighbours, your property, water, etc...

Clearly you did not ask them to leave, they left voluntarily - there should be no question of a refund but you need to ensure you have AirBnB on your side asap.

Lu9
Level 1
Kailua, HI

Please give them a bad review to save other hosts the same problem. Thank you very much. 

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Yep - No refund. Contact Airbnb about the house rule violation. Had they used the house with the number of people they booked for, there wouldn't have been an issue.

They have a lot of nerve claiming a refund after breaking such a big house rule!

Alexis24
Level 2
Bayfield, CO

I contacted Airbnb and informed them of the situation going on. The guest now states she only invited a few family members, their kids, and some friends over and that doesn't constitute as a party. I'm not sure what her definition of a party is but I guess I'm going to have to be more clear in my house rules. Lesson learned. I invited her to open a claim in the resolution center because now she is threatening a bad review so we will let Airbnb decide. I'm not going to refund money for a good review.