Guest canceled after staying 1 night and now my account is -$49

Amanda35
Level 1
Frederick, MD

Guest canceled after staying 1 night and now my account is -$49

Hi AirBnB,

My guest booked for 4 nights ($50/night) and stayed the first night. He was dissatisfied with the room, so he canceled on the second night (but did not stay there). We should still get $50 for the first night he stayed, as my cancelation policy is the Flexible: Full refund 1 day prior to arrival, except fees.

However, a message from AirBnB states:

"Per your cancellation policy, your payout has been updated to $145. Your guest was refunded $50.

An adjustment of -$49 has been applied to your account."

He also canceled AFTER I submitted a Reimbursement to him for 3 of the 4 nights.

How do I ensure that I get my $50 for the one night?

1 Reply 1
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Amanda35 This is really confusing.   So your guest cancelled after spending one night.  Under your Flexible cancellation penalty, he owed you $50 (setting aside, for the moment the host Airbnb service fee) for the first night and then was automatically refunded $150 for the remaining 3 nights.  In the meantime, you instructed Airbnb to refund him an additional $150 as well, correct? In that case, he was refunded $300 less $50 for the first night, leaving a refund of $250.  If I did the math correctly, he got refunded an extra $50 (or $49) more than what he originally paid for the reservation leaving you with a short fall which sounds like got debited from your account. 

Bottom line, you should not have asked Airbnb to refund him for the 3 nights since he was already getting the refund under your cancellation policy.  That said, you can try to sort this out with Airbnb.  Here's how to contact them: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/highligh...