Guest cancelled 4 days prior to check in, then requests $$.

Guest cancelled 4 days prior to check in, then requests $$.

I had a guest cancel 4 days prior to check in. Strict cancellation policy, so no refund other than taxes & cleaning.  Then he submits a request for money for the rest of his payment, which I declined.  He submitted it to Airbnb’s resolution center, and I have not heard anything yet.  Original check in date is today, which means that I should get paid tomorrow.  But since he has requested money, will I?  His claim is based on his discomfort with our exterior security cameras (which are disclosed in our listing) and our house rules (a one page flyer sent to him in advance of arrival) which covers parking, smoking, pets, etc… the usual stuff.

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@David8150 

The house rules sent to the guest after the booking was confirmed must be also in the listing.

Otherwise Airbnb can decide in favor of the guest.

Adding on this topic, I have a question regarding what must be disclosed in the listing versus what can be communication just days before check-in?

This situation specifically deals with pet fees that were’t initially disclosed (on the original listing.) The original  listing simply said the property is “PET FRIENDLY!” with no other details. One days before check-in, the host emails me an additional short term rental agreement where it clearly states there is a pet fee (and max number of pets.)  The morning of check-in she Messaged me through the Airbnb app and asked me to immediately sent her the executed agreement or she would not be able to provide me with the check-in information.  

Considering we had a large party (roughly 12 people)  all Staying at the Airbnb property, I thought the last thing I could do was push back in that moment. I was responsible for booking the Airbnb (in my group) and I had told everyone It was good to go.  In that moment I just thought  I’d go ahead was personally pay all all these extra fees as to not cause any problems.  I’ve always had rather pleasant experiences with Airbnb, but unfortunately this one was nowhere near pleasant. Thank you in advance!

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@David8150 Your listing is showing

security camerasecurity camera

and 

camera2.JPG

When did you add this?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@David8150 If you sent a load of house rules not included in the listing then I think the guest should have a  right to cancel. What did your list include?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David8150  The house rules section on your listing states the usual, as you said, but also says "A full list of House Rules will be provided prior to arrival."

If that list includes things that aren't mentioned in your ad, that isn't acceptable. All rules need to be made clear before guests book.

It's pretty obvious this guest intended to throw a party and/or have more people than the 21 you allow for, as when he noticed the mention of cameras and read the rules, he cancelled, so you dodged a bullet there.

Oh my goodness, thank you! I dealt with this exact issue last weekend. On the morning of check-in I was presented with an “additional agreement” that HAD to be signed before she would send me the check in information. I had friends and family driving from hours away to meet there. I couldn’t cancel, or pushback at all in that moment. I had too many people already on their way to the property.   I REALLY wish Airbnb would crack down on allowing this  practice because it pretty much ruined my experience even though the house was beautiful otherwise.   I mentioned to the host that I have been paid in full for three weeks before check-in, insinuating I met my end of the deal and  she sure should’ve sent me the “additional terms” prior to the morning of.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Lauren2994 

I think you have a valid point.

Unfortunately you have no recourse other than to cancel and demand a full refund if it appears that the host used a “bait and switch” tactic.

@David8150 

I agree with @Sarah977. The guest did not read your listing, and when he finally did, if the security cameras offended him it was probably because he was planning to do something objectionable.

GOOD RIDDANCE.