Guest cancelled after check-in

Christine2956
Level 1
Baileys Harbor, WI

Guest cancelled after check-in

5 days into a 6-week stay, our guests left. Their reason for doing so is understandable - they were here for extended medical treatments for a teenage child. Problem is: our condo association only allows 4 rentals per year, and this is our 4th. Unless our condo association approves my request to cancel the lease, I cannot refund their money.

Several questions come to mind: #1 Airbnb pays out the first 30 days after check-in, then the remainder is paid after the 30-day point.  If the reservation nevers gets cancelled, does the balance get paid out to me (the host)?

#2 If I'm able to cancel the reservation, how do I give a partial refund? They stayed 9 nights and left it quite a mess, so the cleaning fee can't be refunded.

#3 (Philosophical question) If I'm unable to cancel (based on financial reasons - if the association won't grant my request to cancel, I'm unable to rent again 2021, which affects my ability to pay some bills) how do I NOT feel bad about taking their money when they couldn't enjoy my condo? They're suffering more at not being able to provide their daughter the medical treatment that they hoped could help her.

#4 Is it even remotely possible to speak to someone at Airbnb to help answer my questions? I miss the "old days" when companies actually answered their phone and provided customer service. 😉

Thanks for any help that you can give me!

1 Reply 1
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Christine2956

#1 If the reservation is not canceled you will be paid. (The guest should cancel the stay.)

#2 Do not cancel the stay yourself. Airbnb will penalize you and block the dates from rebooking. When the guest cancels you will be presented with an option to send a refund of any amount over the amount the long-term cancellation policy will automatically refund them.

#3 Is a personal matter, but generally speaking hosting does not imply a moral obligation to take on the financial burdens of strangers.

#4 You can call Airbnb at 1-415-800-5959, but support reps are untrained and outsourced and your results may be very unpredictable.