Guest cancelled at the last minute becasue she realized she booked in the wrong city/state

Rachel299
Level 2
Lafayette, LA

Guest cancelled at the last minute becasue she realized she booked in the wrong city/state

Last night around 8:45pm I had a guest instant book for two nights with a message asking if she could also book for that same night. I replied yes and sent a change request. She said she would be there around 9:30/10pm, so I rushed to clean the space to get it ready for her (had another guest check out earlier that day).

Over the next two hours she sent a TON of message/questions (20+) all of which I promptly answered. Then around 11pm she realizes that she has booked in the wrong city & state! I'm in Louisiana and she was trying to book a room in California!

I have a moderate cancellation policy, which means she will get a small refund. She messaged asking how to get a full refund, and I replied that this is exactly why I have a moderate cancellation policy.

She has now sent an official request for a full refund. Should I give it?

5 Replies 5
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Rachel299,

Did she cancel the booking? I would just let her cancel and receive the refund due under your moderate cancellation policy.

I wouldn't volunteer a refund. If she does cancel she may also contact Airbnb and plead her case in which case it's possible that Airbnb will award her a full refund under their guest refund policy.

Either way I'd treat it as being out of your hands. If she does cancel it's now very unlikely that you will be able to get a guest for those days.

Steve.

Thanks for your reply, Steve. Yes, she did cancel the reservation.

After I replied to her about the moderate cancellation policy, she made an official resolution request with Airbnb asking for a full refund. I now have to either decline the request, offer a different amount, or give a full refund.

Hello @Rachel299,

I'd decline it. Airbnb may still grant it under their guest refund policy.

That way I'd have stuck to the chosen cancellation policy.

Steve.

Rachel299
Level 2
Lafayette, LA

This exact situation has now happened a second time within 24hrs. Another guest booked my place in Louisiana thinking it was in California! So, now I have two people that have booked and cancelled and are asking for full refunds. Airbnb glitch?

There are directionally challenged guests every where.   We've had folks book us thinking we were near Southern California,  7 hours from our real location.