Guest cancelled on day of check in

Guest cancelled on day of check in

16EC5A6E-9A58-4ECA-9CDE-605E7AAC0E89.png

Yet again feel totally ripped off and incredibly angry with Airbnb. If you call and speak to an agent, they just read a script from a computer. Over two years I have had a property listed on Airbnb and it is booked 95% of the time. Providing Airbnb with a healthy profit. When you have a problem, do they care? NO of course they don’t! 
I run my Airbnb through my smart phone,

so when I’m out and about I don’t miss anything. Had a 7 day booking starting from 12th October 2021. Guest booked on 29th September, two weeks ago. On the day of check in ( 12th October 2021 ) they decided with no notice nor explanation to cancel. Airbnb refunded them minus the first night. When I checked my cancellation policy on on Airbnb account it clearly shows a refund is issued if guests cancel 24hr prior to check in. No further information. Airbnb are now saying if guests cancel on the day of check in they will be refunded minus the first night. Totally un be known to me. I did not and would not have agreed to this. When you try and expand and find further information on your cancellation policy there is non. Again yet another example of Airbnb seemingly wilfully hiding and with holding information from its owners. 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Paul7773  Sorry you weren't aware of the terms of the cancellation policy you chose, but the various cancellation policy terms are readily available, so feeling ripped off seems like blaming Airbnb  (don't get me wrong, there's lots to blame them for, but not this) for your own failure to inform yourself. The guest was refunded exactly as the policy is written.

Flexible policies are only a good idea for hosts whose market tends to be lots of last-minute bookings, like those who live clise to an airport, so they can pretty easily rebook cancelled dates, or hosts who aren't dependent on the income, and don't really get fussed if guests cancel.

Flexible

• Free cancellation until 24 hours before check-in (time shown in the confirmation email).
  • After that, cancel before check-in and get a full refund, minus the first night and service fee.
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

If you are working exclusively from the app, @Paul7773 , you can find the policy details by going to Profile, then to Get Help, then search for Cancellation Policy.

"Choose the Right Cancellation Policy For You" details what happens with the Flexible policy. And, yes, you are paid for one night more than they stay. 

So if they cancel day-of, you are paid for one night and they are refunded the rest. If they stay for one night, you are paid for two nights and they are refunded the rest, if they stay for two you are paid for three, etc., right up to seven in this case.

It sounds like you might be happier with a moderate or firm policy. Read it all over before you decide, though, so you aren't broadsided again. It is there -- it just takes a bit of looking.

Cash1
Level 1
Hanalei, HI

I had a similar issue. I have a vacation rental that I have been successful renting 95% of the time. Pretty much every guest that stays in our unit gives us excellent reviews.

On oct. 5th I had a guest check into our unit. They noticed some scuff marks on the master bed pillow cases (which occurred from the dryer) and immediately called Airbnb requesting a refund.

instead of communicating with the superhost, the guest was issued a full refund and was able to rebook elsewhere.

I have a strict cancellation policy and I find it ridiculous that the guests were able to cancel a $1700 reservation on the day of their arrival just due to some scuff marks on the pillow cases.

I live 5 minutes from the vacation rental and could have easily resolved the issue.

total bull **bleep** that Airbnb does not try to contact the superhost to try to help resolve.

once the cancellation was made, Airbnb support has been TOTALLY USELESS IN RESOLVING THIS.

It has now been 1 month and I have requested multiple times for a supervisor to contact me. Total waste of time.

Furthermore I have a strict cancellation policy

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Cash1 

I believe that CS should have required the guest to contact the host and allow them to rectify their nuisance complaint.

They have made their decision, however, and admitting that it was wrong would open them up to a claim for lost income, so you know that’s not going to happen.

You might be better off not hosting those guests anyway.

They had the option of calling you or washing the pillowcases themselves, so I have to wonder if they already had another option in mind and were just looking for an excuse to demand a refund.

Yeah, I know, they’re on vacation so they shouldn’t have to lift a finger for any reason.

They wasted more of their vacation time whining to CS, finding another place to stay, and humping their plunder over there than they would have by tossing a couple of pillow cases in the washing machine.