Guest cancelled reservation on day of check-in and still stayed the night.

Nirala0
Level 2
Waterloo, Canada

Guest cancelled reservation on day of check-in and still stayed the night.

I am a remote host.  A recent guest checked in around 9pm, and an hour later cancelled his booking. I have a strict cancellation policy.  He came with two other people (my policy is a max of 2).  The 3rd person has no place to sleep. He stayed the night despite his cancellation, and wrote in the morning to complain about noise - dogs barking in the neighborhood, and a chainsaw in the morning - which was someone cutting their lawn.  He requested a refund.  The noise expectation is made clear under ‘potential for noise’ in my description, house manuals (online and in-house), and check-in info message that I sent him 3 days before his checking in date.  

This guest had also changed his booking twice, within days of his check-in date, which I accepted on both times without hesitation.

He has broken my rule, cancelled his reservation before even spending the night, spends the night, and then complained in the morning (after the fact) about the noise.  Of course he couldn't sleep - there are only 2 sleeping spots.  The futon in the picture doesn't work/mattress is lumpy. 

He takes the issue up with the Airbnb Support Team who speaks to him about the rule breaking, and factors outside my control.  Airbnb then sends me a link to review the guest and the guest to review me.  I question this move since their guidelines under Dispute Moderation for Reviews state that "Airbnb allows reviews for any cancelled reservation after 12am on the day of check-in." 

He cancelled first before he even stayed (or supposed to) stay at the property. Why is he able to submit a review when he should not have been on the property at all upon cancellation.  I'm concerned about the legality of this move, and of course, the unjustifiable drop in my ratings/rentals.  

Thoughts/ suggestions most appreciated.  

Thank you

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nirala0  Contact Airbnb- this guy stayed after he cancelled and then wanted a refund? A refund for what? You have his messages to prove that he stayed after he cancelled. And I assume you have some way of proving that 3 stayed instead of the 2 he booked for? There shouldn't be any reviews allowed. Hopefully you get a helpful and knowledgable CS rep who'll assist you correctly.

@Sarah977 He initially wanted a refund for all 3 nights minus cleaning fee.  Airbnb likely corrected that for him.  I have the message he sent from the cottage after he cancelled, and proof of 3 guests in total.  

I've been writing to the Support team but not getting any response from them.  When they were asking me to show an act of 'goodwill in the spirit of airbnb' and refund the guest for the 2 nights remaining I got several calls and messages in one day.  Now,  nothing.  

Don't write to them, call them.  They take up to a day to e-mail you back if you're corresponding that way.

I've been told in the past that once someone checks in, they're allowed to review you, even if they leave.  Take that with a grain of salt, however, because as we all know, CS representatives have answers that differ wildly from one another.  I hope you're able to get this resolved, all the best!

Thank you @Danielle476 , I will call them.  Fingers crossed! 

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Nirala0 

So sorry to hear you got such an appalling guest - it makes my blood boil to hear of such behaviour!

Please persevere with CS reps to get a rightful outcome.
(Tbh, I've never had to deal with such guests... I do wonder how I'd cope... I suspect I'd be so outraged I'd give up on hosting 😞 )

All the best!

Thank you @Patricia55

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Nirala0 

Just clicked on your listing a couple of times, and saved to favourites.. maybe it'll help in some small way 🙂 x

You're too kind. 🙂