Guest cancels calendar blocked

Bill1150
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Guest cancels calendar blocked

A guest just canceled their reservation.  According to the AirBnB FAQ, the platform will automatically unblock the dates.  Yet when I go to the calendar, I see this:  "To help avoid future cancellations, your calendar will stay blocked for the dates of the canceled reservation."

Completely opposite of what the FAQ says.

As I had nothing to do with their cancellation, how do I unblock my calendar?

6 Replies 6
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Bill1150 Did you accept a request from the guest to cancel? That's a trap that many hosts fall into. It counts as a host cancel.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 This is news to me presumably because we haven't had any cancellations bar Covid. How should a guest cancel and not ding the host?

@Mike-And-Jane0   I have never had this happen. I've learned about this pitfall through being on this forum. A guest should go to their trips dashboard and simply cancel. I'm guessing at what happened with @Bill1150's cancellation. Could also be a glitch of some sort. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/BEWARE-of-quot-Guest-requests-that-you-cancel-quot/td-p/...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Guest-requesting-cancellation/m-p/432351

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Bill1150 @Mike-And-Jane0  @Colleen253

the guest can cancel without asking his host anything

if he asks the host if he agrees to cancelation and the host click on "Agree" button then the cancelation will be on the host's behalf, dates will remain blocked and the host will be penalized

SO HOSTS SHOULD NEVER AGREE TO GUEST'S CANCELATION.

WE SHOULD ALWAYS READ THE SMALL PRINT BEFORE HITTING THE "AGREE" BUTTON.

@Bill1150 I am completely mystified about why that button even exists— in your shoes and I would call Airbnb and ask them to reverse the penalties.

@William810 No, because as reported here Airbnb treats it as a host cancellation.