Guest check out early and want refund

Answered!
Allan-C-0
Level 3
New York, NY

Guest check out early and want refund

Hello, 

We had a guest book our room 2 weeks in advance.  Prior to her check in I tried contacting her more than 4 times.  Finally she respnds she was busy in Miami. Well, she finally checks in and the next morning send me a text she has an allergic reaction and wants to check out and would like a full refund.  I text her back to say sorry about her allergies but we are on a strict policy for refunds.  Please read the cancelation policy.  She says its not her issue and wants to at least have something back.   Never have had an issue like this.   Can someone shed some light on this please

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Let's put it this way - if you were alergic to let's say gluten. Would you sit in a restaurant, order a meal, start eating and then get a reaction and refuse to pay... or you would order a gluten free meal?

We had few guests with alergies and they asked us in advance if we have feather pillows / room freshener / cat or dogs?

it seems to me she is not alergic to anything, she is just trying to get a refund because her plans have changed.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11

You do not need to provide her with a refund. 

You can point her toward Airbnb to try and qualify for an Extenuating Circumstances refund. An allergic reaction may be a legit reason to receive a refund but Airbnb will decide if she qualifies. 

You could offer to refund her some portion should you rebook the space, but that's on you - you don't have to refund her since you have a Strict Policy, but it would be a nice thing to do.

Keep all of your communication on the Airbnb platform. 

@Alice-and-Jeff0Thank you so much for your response.  The situation has been resolved and Airbnb has gotten involved to mediate the situation.  

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Allan-C-0

AirBnb control all money transactions, Tell them to contact Airbnb as you do not deal with refunds,

Thank you so much for the response.  I did just that and Airbnb were able to mediate the situation.  Thanks a lot! @Chris232

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Let's put it this way - if you were alergic to let's say gluten. Would you sit in a restaurant, order a meal, start eating and then get a reaction and refuse to pay... or you would order a gluten free meal?

We had few guests with alergies and they asked us in advance if we have feather pillows / room freshener / cat or dogs?

it seems to me she is not alergic to anything, she is just trying to get a refund because her plans have changed.

@Branka-and-Silvia0As all this was unfolding I felt the exact same thing. Prior to her checking in I could not reach her for days and then she respondes she was busy in Miami, I felt somthing not right at that time but I thought nothing of it.  I just feel she had better plans and wanted to go along with them .  But I am just happy to have it resolved and to move on to another guest.  Thank you for your response.

@Allan-C-0did she get a refund? I hope not

Allan-C-0
Level 3
New York, NY

Well they fed into the allergy compliant and refunded her one day.   SMH.

Amita0
Level 2
Kolkata, India

Hi- in my case the couple checked in. After staying for 2 nights the husband was sick with fever and she says we will have to check out earlier and asks for a refund. Do you think I should give a 50% refund on the grounds she mentions?  Please advise.

Michael2839
Level 2
Philippines

Pls help me this is my first encounter with a guest planning to leave the place 1 day before the check out time. Should I refund the 1 day that is not consumed? How about the booking thats already blocked during her supposed stay?  I would appreciate much if you could help me please.thank you.

I just had a guest who was traveling for business and booked for the whole week. He got his job done early and asked to check out early. Although it wasn't required, I gave him a refund for his unused days. I know the guy is going to be in the area again, and my thought was it's good customer service and I'm hopeful he will book again or at the very least leave a positive review. Of course hindsight is 20/20. I refunded his three unused days and could't change the calendar to make those days available.