Guest check out early

Answered!
Norma-Lee0
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Guest check out early

My guest checked out after 7 days, on a 28 day booking. How do I open my calender to get another booking? Do I offer a refund to the guest?

1 Best Answer

13 Replies 13
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Norma-Lee0 Dont refund the guest until they cancel, be very careful in this matter dont accept any request from that guest. If the guest will not cancel the dates will remain block until the end of their reservation date. You cannot unblock dates that are still under a particular reservation. Good luck!!!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

And @Norma-Lee0 if you get an email asking whether you agree to accept your guest's cancellation - DO NOT agree. Select the option that you would be happy to host them. If you don't the cancellation is bounced back as host cancellation. It's a nefarious and sneaky measure that was introduced more than a year ago and unduly penalizes unsuspecting hosts.

If, as @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 says, guest doesn't cancel and your dates remain blocked, you can use the following trick:

Open a new listing exactly the same on your profile, but with only the bookable dates open on the calendar.

@Andrea9 Great idea!!!

Diane359
Level 1
Leeds, United Kingdom

Hi I’m a little confused as to how to start a new listing for the remaining dates where my guess have checked out early? Please could you advise me. Thankyou 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Diane359

If the guest has not cancelled, the dates remain blocked and you will be paid in full. (its still an ongoing reservation)

If the guest cancels they will be refunded according to your cancellation policy and the dates will be released. DO NOT ACCEPT A CANCELLATION REQUEST FROM THE GUEST, always decline a cancellation request or you will be punished by airbnb as if you cancelled the booking.

Norma-Lee0
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 and @Andrea9Thank you for your quick response. The guest has not asked for a cancellation, he just checked out. So I will follow your advice.

Agus12
Level 2
Denpasar, Indonesia

hi,, sorry im join here, i need to help...

my guests want to check out early after 10 days from the date they checked in, with booking 31 days. they want 50% of the rent to be refunded on the date already passed, and full refund of the unexpired date. the reason they are saying is that it is difficult to get water. I feel a little bit disadvantaged by the resolution of the center offered to me, and let me explain that the problem is beyond our control and we have searched for it and the information we get that there is a major plumbing repair leading to our village, so the problem of water shortage is experienced by the entire population our village. as a solution I immediately bought a water bath and changed the pipeline at our place so the problem is clean. and again I get a complaint from the guest directly and email from the resolution center that 2 of 6 guests got sick and our water is indicated not clean ..... I explained again, our water is sourced in denpasar, (government and largest water refinery, supply water all tourism areas in bali) the issue of bacteria indications made our guests is very unacceptable. they are active in marine hygiene from rubbish and plastics, their activities are picking up garbage and plastics and collected in our premises before being sold, whether the activity is clean of bacteria? and in the same month I get 3 submissions booking my place, the period is theirs because they first make payment. MY QUESTIONS, WHAT SHOULD I DO? for the problems that are very detrimental to me.

Steve2439
Level 1
Greensboro, NC

I cannot seem to find a description/specifics of my "moderate" cancellation policy on the airbb site. my guest has stayed 4 of her 7 days and in the middle of the night has decided to leave to stay with a friend. There have been no complaints to date. If she cancels at this point, does she get some sort of refund?

Absolutely not! Not your fault. DO NOT accept any cancelation nor refund resquest

Hi! Need help! I have a house on a bay.  My last guests early without letting us know, Saturday instead of Sunday, but let his fishing guide stay at our house.   The only reason we found this out is because we were searching our cameras to see who had turned off the fishing lights.  Turns out the guide left his boat parked under the lights, the seat started to smoke and gratefully a neighbor must have called the fire department, all of which happened at 2 am.  Turns out it wasn’t just the guide but some kids as far as we could tell.  Question A. What should I do ? 
B. What should I write as a review? 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Ania1848 

You have an exquisite house and I would be outraged in your situation.

In effect the guest has sublet your property to unknown parties without your permission. This is absolutely unacceptable.

I’m not sure if there are still unauthorized people in there or not, but if there are you need to get rid of them immediately. They have no right to be there. They are trespassing. You can get the police involved if necessary.

I’m guessing that this happened last weekend though, so I guess they left without incident.

Were there significant damages? Things missing? 

If not you need to decide if you will ever trust this guest again. I imagine that the pool of guests who can afford your place is rather small, so you might not want to embarrass someone who could be a repeat customer.

If there were no damages I would probably wait until the guest posts a review before I posted mine.

If they gave me a bad review I would savage them.

If they gave me 5 stars I would probably give them 4 and add some innocuous remark such as, “I recommend that future hosts make sure this guest is fully informed regarding their policies on additional unauthorized overnight guests and notification in case of early checkout.”

Then I would calmly and politely inform the guest PRIVATELY that what they did was unacceptable and although no actual harm was done, if the “fishing buddy” had trashed the place they would have been fully liable.

If the guest doesn’t post a review before the 14-day deadline, I wouldn’t post my review until the very last minute: 13 days, 23 hours, and 59 minutes. 

Have your well-considered review ready but do not click send until you are sure that they don’t have time to backstab you.

You could inform Airbnb of the guest’s inappropriate behavior but I doubt that they would do anything about it.

This is the 2nd year we’ve done this and for the most part we’ve had really good guests   But this blindsided us.  I will take your advice and wait till the last minute.   Thank you 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Ania1848 

Someone pointed out to me that I was wrong about one thing: You cannot see the guest’s review until you have posted yours. By waiting until the last minute, if they have neglected to review you, they will lose the opportunity to do so.

That is probably a good idea in this case because you have plenty of good reviews and you don’t need any bad ones.

They may be expecting a reprimand from you because they must know that what they did was wrong, so it’s probably best if they think that you’re not going to review them.