Guest checked in and announced that hey would have more cars and visitors than expected.

Tina6782
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

Guest checked in and announced that hey would have more cars and visitors than expected.

On the day of check-in, our guest announces that they will have six vehicles (two more than the allowed 4 vehicles) and 18 total bodies visiting the property.  Six cars is only two more than four so we allow it.  Then they informed us that they would be having a rehearsal dinner at the property for 18 people.  The house sleeps 14, but they assured us that the extra people would be gone by 9pm.

A few issues:

- The guest informed us of this on the day of checkin.  I don't want to cancel because they've booked for four days and no one is booking the days canceled at this late in the game.  It feels extremely rude to do this to us - but perhaps they knew if they told us we wouldn't allow the booking.

- There were a total of 13 vehicles parked on our property that allowed four vehicles.

- We have a no party policy. Wouldn't this be considered a party?

- One of the guests brought dogs and we had to have the property manager call the guest to remind them of the NO PET policy and have them (the dogs) removed immediately.

- Feel like a venue because extra tables and tablecloths and chairs were brought in to seat extra people.  The house sleeps 14 and has dining space for 14 so why were more table and chairs needed unless it was much more than 14 (much more than 18!)

Is there some sort of verbiage beyond "NO Parties, if there is a party happening, you will be asked to leave immediately and you will forfeit the remaining days paid for"?  The guest instructions already state this but I suspect that if we told them to leave, AirBnB will refund the guest for remaining days.

This feels like a guest taking advantage of our family vacation home.  They should have rented a proper venue!

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Tina6782 

There seems to be some violation here of your house rules, as you describe it here.

I wanted to look at your listing, but it seems not to be active under your account.

Does the houserules mention it is not allowed to bring in visitors ?

If there are 13 vehicles now parked, i guess there are much more people then the announced 18

Is a rehearsel diner a party ? At least in could easily end up in a party.

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

I would look at it from this perspective: What is the price of the rules you set and your peace? Is it four days of income?

They've already broken rules and crossed boundaries, what more boundaries will they cross and what rules will they break? They've made it clear what behavior you can expect from them, it's rational to accept that rather than hope they will be different. 

What damage will they and their guests do? Could it end up costing you more than four days of income? 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

It's a clear no from me. Find another venue, a park maybe. My numbers are finite. But you have already allowed the cars, dogs, guests by not refusing. 

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Tina6782 they didn’t fess up beforehand 

because they knew you’d likely say no if they requested increased numbers, cars, etc. I know if it were me I’d be so ticked off it that if stand my ground on the guest numbers, cars etc and ask the overflow to leave.

I’d  rather take the hit financially than allow folks like these to run roughshod over my home and my hospitality.

Do tell us how it plays out, hopefully without too much event.  13 cars though 🤨

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Tina6782 Yes you can ask them to leave, no you won’t be paid if you do. And oh btw abb doesn’t believe in fines for bad behavior. 

you essentially have two courses of action: one, guest does as they please and you review them accordingly. Two, you stand your ground. “We’ll have more cars” “I’m sorry, that won’t be possible.” “We’ll have more people” “I’m sorry that won’t be possible” or alternatively “no. You will not.” And then the guest reviews you & you review them. 

both of these courses have downsides. Only you know which is preferable to you. 

the distant third possibility is that you tell them they’ve changed their mind about what they’ve booked and agree to a $$ that makes you willing to cooperate with their plans. This too has downsides. 

good luck!