Guest claims there is bed bugs

Nat9
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Guest claims there is bed bugs

I have just recieved an email from a guest as well as from airbnb stating there are bed bugs in her bed.

The guests states that she has bites on her.

Airbnb said that if I don't replace the mattress and fix the problem immediately, the booking will be cancelled and the guest will be refunded. 

I have asked the guest for photos of the bed bugs.

The guest checked in over a month ago. Surely if there were already bed bugs present, she would have noticed in the first few days, not over a month later?

I don't think a host should be responsible under these circumstances. I have no doubt airbnb will make me responsible for it though!

23 Replies 23
Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

It does seem odd.

@Nat9   First, check that there are actually bed bugs and make sure she is there with you when you do, take photos whether there are or not.  Could be a lot of other things not even related to the room / space.  Some people  just over react and panic when they see a bite.

Elizabeth196
Level 1
Dallas, TX

Gosh, I would hope it would take more than a claim that something like this existed. Does she not have to provide photographic evidence?
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Very odd indeed. Is the guest trying for a full refund for the month? Go and check it out, assuming you are around. The problem should have appeared earlier. Get a pest controller if you have to to check it out, they will be able to tell you for sure. If they have only appeared now then how did they get there? Assuming they are present at all, of course.

Nat9
Level 2

I am sorry I forgot to mention that I am overseas, which makes it more difficult because I can't go see for myself.

I have asked the guest to send photos of bed bugs.

She says she has bites on her skin but until I see photos of bed bugs, I cannot be sure there are actually any.

However even if there are, I still think it's unfair that I will be left paying for the treatment. I have called some companies and they quoted me over $500 for one room. I mean if the guest checked in and made a complaint in the first week, it would be legitimate but when it's well over a month later, it just seems like something that's not my fault.

If the guest complains after three weeks into a month's rental you are dealing with a scammer or the guest heself brought in the bed bugs. Have her go to a doctor with the bites and have her provide a written medical confirmation.  Contest airbnb in this case.

Nat9
Level 2

The claim was raised for the first time, 5 weeks after check in.

Her booking is several months long.

Sorry to argue with you but I don't think you can contest anything airbnb says. Airbnbs words are like the word of God, you don't have any say in the matter

"Sorry to argue with you but I don't think you can contest anything airbnb says. Airbnbs words are like the word of God, you don't have any say in the matter"

Oh yes, I have encountered the airbnb bully too !!  Contest nevertheless.  Read up on facts and be very factual in your argumentation. Spread in social media.

You should have a pest control co come out to evaluate, they will tell you,

i have managed properties for years and the few claims of bed bugs where unfounded.

i do agree that air bnb can  bully owners and does side with the guest...we are THE customer as well!! And contribute much more revenue then a guest does and have  much more to lose by not providing a good service .

The guest has no reason to lie.  Just pay an exterminator to get rid of the bugs.

Yes guests will lie. I had 2 guests tell me after they checked in 2 days later, that they were being eaten by bed bugs and fleas! I had an exterminator in the next day. No bed bugs and no fleas. Just an empty large bottle of vodka in the trash that was full the day before because I saw it on my kitchen counter top completely full. The lie was fueled by alcohol. The company that was paying for their stay applogized to me and made the employee come back and appogize to me for lying.

She may have brought the bed bugs with her from somewhere else

Susan291
Level 1
San Rafael, CA

Definitely research bed bugs. I'm pretty sure the bites appear immediately and it's like a rash, and not like mosquitos bites.

Also if you haven't had complaints since the guest, highly unlikely it's bed bugs. They are hard to get rid of and affect everyone. So you could have someone go in and take photos of the mattress. They like to hang out in the corners under the sheets. If you have some do a thorough visual inventory and they don't find any...highly unlikely you had them months ago.

I've heard of infestations in group living situations and pretty much everyone got bitten and they had to basically burn everything. It's hard for the average person to get rid of them themselves.

It's serious, if you have them.

@Nat9  I'm sure there's somebody managing your place when you're not there.  Have the bed checked and take photos.  Otherwise, have a pest control person checked it out; they'd know all about it.