Guest cleaning etiquette

Guest cleaning etiquette

I recently received my first poor review as a guest and I'm looking for some insight on guest cleaning etiquette. The host said towels were left on the floor everywhere when in fact there was one pile of the used towels on the bathroom floor so the host knew those needed to be cleaned. I always make a point to sweep and wipe down all surfaces before leaving an airbnb. I was a bit surprised when she stated the apartment was left in poor condition when we were charged a cleaning fee and I cleaned before we left.

So what is proper etiquette on things like towels, trash disposal, leaving anything the fridge, etc?

Thank you!

12 Replies 12
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As a guest I would leave damp towels in the shower or bath. And maybe message the host to let them know you have done this.

I would empty the fridge of any leftover food and I would take out rubbish to outside bins.

Just because you are charged a cleaning fee, doesn't mean you shouldn't do the basics.

Cleaning fee covers items such as washing towels and linen, making beds, hoovering, deep clean of the listing, cleaning the bathroom and kitchen etc.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Amanda301 You could have asked the host. Each of us (I am most often a host) has different rules. Wasn't there any bin in the bathroom? I prefer my guests to leave used towels in the bathroom, not on wooden furniture or wooden floor. But there is a bin for that. And I am always willing to answer questions.

When I was a guest for 2 weeks in London, I tried not to leave anything. We figured out where the thrashbin was and even did the washing. 2 weeks without the host was enough to justify it.

Make sure you reply to that review, explaining everything.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

There was no bin or washing machine that we could see. The floors were tile so that seemed like the best option. I'll be sure to ask the host next time. Thank you

Most guests drape wet towels over the shower rod or on the wall racks or hooks on the back of the door in the bathroom. I have had guests leave wet towels on the bed and on the wood floors or carpet and that was a no-no to me. It seems like common sense, but...guess not.

I've stayed in places that ask us to take out the garbage or throw our used linens in the wash and those places usually do not charge a cleaning fee. The ones that do usually don't ask us to do anything much.

I run my friend's entire place and I charge a cleaning fee. The only thing I ask is that they take out the garbage if it fills up during their stay. This is necessary for longer stays.

You might suggest to future hosts that they have a list of check-out expectations for guests.  You could put it in the private feedback.  We have one in our "House Manual.  It has basics like where to leave the keys, the towels (bathroom floor, which is heated tile and will dry them if I don't get there right away), etc.  Top of my list is to please check under beds, sofa, and other furniture for items, and remember their phone chargers.  This has cut down the amount of stuff I need to return to guestss.

While I certainly appreciate them starting the laundry, sweeping up, and sorting trash/recycles into appropriate bins, I don't require it, because it doesn't really save me any work--in fact, we specifically tell them that if they have any doubt about how to seperate trash and recycles they should just leave it for us.  So much easier than diving into large trash bins to sort it after they leave!

You might suggest to future hosts that they have a list of check-out expectations for guests.  You could put it in the private feedback.  We have one in our "House Manual.  It has basics like where to leave the keys, the towels (bathroom floor, which is heated tile and will dry them if I don't get there right away), etc.  Top of my list is to please check under beds, sofa, and other furniture for items, and remember their phone chargers.  This has cut down the amount of stuff I need to return to guestss.

While I certainly appreciate them starting the laundry, sweeping up, and sorting trash/recycles into appropriate bins, I don't require it, because it doesn't really save me any work--in fact, we specifically tell them that if they have any doubt about how to seperate trash and recycles they should just leave it for us.  So much easier than diving into large trash bins to sort it after they leave!

Alene1
Level 1
Painted Post, NY

I hosted my first longer term guests (8 days). I was surprised to arrive home to find they did not clean at all. The carpets were littered, refrigrator had spills all over, bathroom hair all over, dishes not put away, etc, etc. Am I unreasonable to expect guests to clean up after themselves if they are here for an extented period. I thought they should leave the place at least as the same condition they arrived. Any advice?

@Alene1  I have a guest coming in today for 9 days 4 adults and 5 children. On day 5 of their stay we request to change the sheets and refresh towels. I do this more so to check out what the place is looking like. We actually leave enough towels and extra sheets they could change their own beds with, but they tend to be more careful with the picking up after themselves knowing we're coming in. For an 7-8 day stay I would do it at day 4. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

We don't expect things to be cleaned and don't mind a few crumbs or refrigerator spills....we do expect that towels are hung up on the bathroom hooks so as not to molder in the damp, and that trash and recycling is either taken out by the guests or they make arrangements with us to remove.  But many guests are unable to meet even these low requirements.  We message them to put towels on the hooks but they throw them on the floor anyway, we message them about the trash pick up, but we find bags of trash left in the kitchen.  We tell them not to strip the beds, but they strip the beds and throw the sheets in the bathtub on top of the damp towels.  We also allow and encourage guests to leave any food  they can't take, so we can dispose of it properly,  because prior to that people were chucking half full orange juice bottles in the garbage!

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Amanda301 It sounds like you left the house in perfect order. No need to ask the host question such as that, as that is the responsibility of the host to do so As for the towels, you did nothing wrong. Moreover, since the host charges a cleaning fee, you have no responsibility to do anything other than pick up after yourself.

In my space, I ask guests to wash their own dishes, put all the trash in the trash can and make sure windows and doors are closed and locked.  We have a cleaning staff to clean and guests should not be asked to do so if there is a fee being charged. 

If the host didn't like that the towels were not hung up, she could have mentioned that to you in the private feedback. No need for her to get dramatic and give a poor review. 

Gabriella40
Level 4
Portland, OR

I have a hook in each room and tell each and every guest when I check them in to bring their damp towel back to the and use the provided hook.  At check out I provide a basket and leave a message the morning of checkout explaining where to put the towels, what not to leave behind as in food, check the drawers and closets for belonging.  As a result, I don’t have this as an issue.  If you provided solutions for the most common mistakes guests make they feel better knowing what is expected of them and there is less chance for disappointment, the big problem is will they read anything, most don’t seem to read...

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Amanda301 it is lovely that you are being reflective and stoic about this.

Unless you ignored clear instructions from your host I see no problem in leaving towels on a tiled floor.

eta it does say "very dirty towels" so maybe the issue was how dirty they were not where you left them?