Guest closing blinds

Guest closing blinds

Hi I’ve been hosting for 2 years now in a single private room in house situation and have experienced a handful of guest close the blinds in most of the rooms. It doesn’t bother me! but I’m confused on why they do it mostly. Any ideas? 

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

You could drive yourself crazy @Bobby115  trying to figure out why other people do the things they do. They're paranoid about someone looking in the windows? They like it dark? They're trying to get the most out of the money they spent by using your electric lights all day, even when it's bright and sunny out? They're actually vampires? 

You could take a humorous approach and ask them. "I'm doing a little survey among my guests, as I notice many of them keep the blinds closed all day and maybe I have a paucity of imagination, but it bamboozles me. If you wouldn't mind participating, could you tell me your reason for keeping the blinds closed all day? No problem that you do, I'm just trying to broaden my understanding."

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

It's for privacy, my guess.

@Bobby115 

Another reason to keep blinds/curtains closed during the day is to keep the room temp from rising too much due to direct sunlight. During summer, Henry and I keep our curtains closed during the day while the AC is on. Our living room faces SW so during the day with the curtains open, the room heats up faster than the AC can manage to keep temps down. 

In winter, it depends because the curtains also provide a layer of insulation. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 ...

*THIS* is the exact reason we keep our south-facing blinds & curtains closed, especially during summer heatwave.

If we don't...the room temperature rises 20 degrees higher!! The air conditioner is overworked and the sun bleaches the hardwood floors, the upholstery and carpets.

Some guests don't care! 😔