Guest complaining about building hall !?

Tatjana109
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Guest complaining about building hall !?

Dear all 

I am new to this forum and relatively new and fresh superhost. I really make an extra effort to make sure my apartment is sparkling clean and in as close as to 5* experience. 

However , today I was faced with the customer who just checked in with her 2 daugthers and I honestly do not know what to think  or do. She  did not even enter the apartment - she sent message from the building hallway where halls are plastic-wrapped due to the reinsulation works that are done in my building with the message " is this a joke?  you should have mentioned this in your add! " . We did infor mer that it is building maintenance works we have no control over and that in no case would disrupt any functionality in the apartment ( electricity , ac , not even a noise ) . 

However , she continued - complaining that we have only 2 bowls and they are 3 ( I did have 4 but did not realise 2 were broken) . we offered to bring 2 more tomorrow but this is clearly not what she wants. I realised that when she sent a picture of mug stand wher there were supposed to be 4 mugs saying " you should do better inventory in the apartment , there is a clearly mug missing "  .  followed with " this is discusting , this is fraud, I expect official airbnb apology and a discount or I am filing for fraud" 

I really think she is in some sort of scam scheme and I am afraid what will come next as she booked for 2 weeks - this is day one!!!!

ANy advise would be appreciated I do not know how to deal with her. I have no issue giving a reasonable customer discount but not for something that is out of my control or due to a missing bowl?

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Tatjana109 

Even if things are not under your control, it can affect the guest experience and you better be prepared for it. Simply mention in the listing that some work is done in the entrance hall of the building and you are covered. Missing items can be noticed / replaced while preparing the appartment, although not a major issue if the item not that important and will be replaced later.

If the guest continues being difficult to please, sent her a message stating you are willing to shorten the reservation (unused days refunded), as she (the guest) seem to be  very umhappy with the accommodation.

Kind regards,

Emiel

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Tatjana109  I can see how the guest would be upset if the hallway is covered in plastic and she didn't know this at the time of booking.  However, calling it 'fraud' because there are only 2 bowls or mugs and demanding a refund or she's going to sue you is BS.

So, your problem is you have an unhappy guest who can now leave you a bad review.  She can leave you a bad review whether you give her a discount, refund or nothing at all, so keep this in mind when making your decision.  Also, if she does leave a bad review, remember your response is for any future guests reading it more than whatever this guest might say, make sure you are professional and unemotional.

I would apologize for the hallway condition and tell her you are sorry if/that she didn't notice the construction blurb, or apologize for not making it more clear.  Remind her that the hallway doesn't affect the condition or quality of the apartment.  Offer to arrive with new bowls and mugs.  If you are willing to lose the $, I would tell her you certainly don't want her to be unhappy and that you will refund her if she decides to go elsewhere...that's a bit of calling her bluff.

Good luck.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Tatjana109,

Welcome to the community!

If I were you, I would contact Airbnb to acknowledge the incident, considering canceling the reservation,  refund the guest, and request Airbnb relocate the guest to the new place.

As host should block the listing calendar during the building renovation period

I hope the guest will make good communication with you and resolve the issue.

Airbnb term and services 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2908/terms-of-service

Sohrab2
Level 2
Belper, United Kingdom

if there is building work going on with diggers and drills in the next door property is the host obliged to warn about this in the advert before going ahead with any booking please

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sohrab2  I hope you’re well!

I think it would be sensible to let potential guests know about significant building works that might impact the enjoyment of their stay- especially if the host is already aware that they are taking place.

Otherwise the host might be in for unhappy guests, poor reviews, refund requests and so on.

Sohrab2
Level 2
Belper, United Kingdom

Thank you 

that’s helpful 

I think it’s common courtesy too 👍

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry you are having this experience.

Your holiday style listing is lovely , and I can understand if I was told by a host there was building maintenance, I wouldn't necessarily expect to walk into the building and find hallways where halls are plastic-wrapped . @Tatjana109  However, having looked at your listing I can't see building maintenance mentioned at all, which makes the guests reaction less surprising. 

I think sadly it's likely this guest will continue to find fault so it would be better to work with the guest and Airbnb to cancel the booking so that she can find somewhere that better suits her needs.

I understand you have no control over maintenance of the booking but you did have the option to consider blocking off your listing during the works if they are likely to impact on your guests experience, or very clearly by photographs and description showing the impact of the building works so guests are forewarned, rather than just referring to it as building maintenance.

Maybe a small discount for the first night only is appropriate but flowers/a hamper maybe. If she chooses to stay, then I wouldn't discount after the first night.

Your cleaning staff or whoever does the cleaning should do an inventory check after each stay and replace any broken or missing items, rather than leaving your guests to discover items are missing.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Tatjana109   It is important to have adequate kitchen and dining for your guests.  You advertise that you can accommodate 6 guests, but you only have 4 bowls?   For all of my properties I have enough dishes for the guests to have two full meals without having to washup.  So if you have 6 guests, you should have more than 6 plates, bowls, mugs, etc. I would have been as upset as your guest if I arrived with my family and could not serve them properly.   Housekeeping also needs to alert you to breakage  or missing items so that you can provide replacements BEFORE the next guest arrives.

I do agree with the others; this guest will be unhappy and should be encouraged to go to another rental.

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Tatjana109 I think she has some valid issues but is going about reporting them to you in the wrong way. My suggestion would be kindness. Deliver the missing items immediately and personally with a handwritten apology note and a small personalized gift or basket. When you are very kind to someone it is much harder for them to react poorly in return.

Jorge