Guest courtesy in a shared space?

Christi1
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Guest courtesy in a shared space?

I have a guest that contacted me the night before he was scheduled to arrive, and informed me he would be arriving at 2:00 a.m. that night (morning!!!). Apparently he hadn't read his train's arrival time correctly. I let him know I was asleep, but that he could call when he got here and stay. This is a shared room in a small studio. So now he is sleeping until noon every day, and here on his computer (not for work or other responsibilities) late into the night. Therefore, some of the lights are on too late, and I basically have to leave my own house or tiptoe around half of the day. And he hasn't lifted a finger to even tidy the futon/area where he's sleeping. So, I am wondering if I am being reasonable in starting to feel angry? Or that this is not common courtesy for a small shared space? I have had several other guests with no problems, and I do want to constructively address this. I just don't know whether/how to go about it directly with this guest - or just address it in the house rules for future guests? There is also the fact that technically he stayed here an extra night he hasn't been charged for? Thank you all for any advice!
2 Replies 2
Kerry-Phil0
Level 5
Healesville, Australia

Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience.

First up, I would communicate your concerns to your guest and try to resolve them that way. I would also add a section in your House Rules about your expectations for guest behaviour. That way if guests do not respect your wishes you have grounds to request their booking be ended. We all have different expectations of what is acceptable behaviour so communication is key.

Thank you Kerry 🙂