Guest damages apartment, customer service refuses to grant security deposit

Guest damages apartment, customer service refuses to grant security deposit

Hello everyone,

I recently had a guest, who stayed for two days and left $494 of damages, but Airbnb customer service saw fit to award only $167. I want to share my story with the hosting community to warn you about what to expect from the Airbnb customer service and inform you about some steps I could have taken to avoid some of my losses. In addition, I would love to have some insight as to what I can do next to secure the rest of the damages to my property from Airbnb.

The day before the guest's check in, we agreed on doing their check out and walk through at 11:00 AM. On the day of the check out, I received a text from the guest at 7:32 AM that they have already left and the apartment keys are at the lobby. When I arrived at the unit I found the washing machine lid and the closet door in front broken. The washing machine door was broken in two different locations, the closet door was broken from the hinges, and the door itself was also cracked. I took photos of the damages.

I started a claim and of course the guest denied any involvement. She said the washing machine and the closet door were broken when they checked in. I escalated the case to Airbnb immediately.

Airbnb customer service took 3 days to reach out. I had another guest moving in before I received a response, so I already had the closet door repaired for $120 to keep up the appearances for the incoming guest. (This was my first mistake.) I received an invoice in e-mail from the contractor, as he didn't carry blank invoices with him like most contractors (second mistake).

I received a quote from a Bosch repair service ($374) and asked them to order the repalcement part, which required $167 downpayment.

I wrote back to the agent that the door was already repaired, so I couldn't provide any additional pictures of the door than I had already provided. I sent the invoices for the closet door repair, washing machine door replacement part, and the service quote.

Next time I heard back from the agents there was a plethora of demands and excessive details, that were not mentioned before. This was on a Friday, and the agent gave me 72 hours to produce these documents:

1. A 'professional incident report'. Stated as-is with no explanation. I had no idea what this was.  I was told by Airbnb customer service on the phone that it could be an online form, a police report, or my impressions in writing. The next day, my assigned agent informed me that it was none of these. The agent wanted a written report from the handyman about the cause of the damages occured, as if he were a detective. I asked the handyman, and he said he doesn't offer such services.
  2. A new invoice for the closet. The agent asked for a new invoice and it was to include "labor per hour and worked hours, detailed list of the used materials and its costs, and worked area in square inches, signature and stamp." It was the weekend and I couldn't possibly produce this document.
  3. An invoice for the washing machine repair. Since the washing machine replacement part hadn't arrived, I was only billed for the replacement part at the time. So, I couldn't possibly provide an invoice for the full cost of repair in the next 72 hours.

At this point, I had already spent $287 for repairs and I would be charged an additional $207 when the Bosch service arrived.

The agent deemed broken hinges and a large crack on the door were deemed "wear and tear" and awarded $0 for the $120 repair. $167 in damages were awared for washing machine repairs, that has cost me $374. In total, I received $167 for $494 in damages that the guest left.

You've made this far and it means I haven't lost you in the details of my story, so thank you for reading! I realize my losses aren't devastating; it could have been much worse. By sharing my story I tried to describe the type of attitude Airbnb customer support has towards the host in a damage claim dispute.

If you choose to do a damage claim with Airbnb my advice is as follows:

1. Do not get anything fixed before your case manager is satisfied with all pictures.
  2. Ask for detailed reports from whoever comes to inspect and remove damaged items from your property.
  3. Do not accept e-mailed invoices. Ask your invoices to be stamped and signed. Ask for the service company to include cost of labor per hour, hours worked, materials used and their costs, and area worked on in square inches.
  4. Make a full downpayment for the services you have requested, so you can send Airbnb the invoice, when they ask for them.
  5. Do not count on your security deposit or the 'One-Million Dollar Guarantee.' Take all steps you can take to prove and justify your repair payments.

If you have had a similar problem, I would love to hear from you what I can do to secure rest of my repair spending from the security deposit.

Best wishes,

Gulay

51 Replies 51

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for the clarification, I do appreciate it!

I hear the point that David is making, but I'm not sure if it's related to the problem at hand. The problem is stemming from AirBnB's reluctance to allocate the security deposit to the host. If AirBnB were refusing to pay hosts for damages, because they were unable to charge guests for damages, David's point would be relevant to the problem.

Besides, there is no reason hosts should be concerning themselves about at what point AirBnB charges the guest for damages. Look at it this way: Hosts don't care when AirBnB charges the guest for their stay, the host only cares that AirBnB reimburses them for the guests stay. Similarly, I don't care when AirBnB charges the guest for the security deposit (I understand it's not really a deposit), I only care that AirBnB reimburses me for the damages caused by the guest.

To tie it back to the original question, the fact that AirBnB doesn't collect a security deposit ahead of time isn't important to me and if I list elsewhere it won't be because of AirBnB's method of collecting the security deposit.

I do have a question for everyone: Is there a benefit of asking for a security deposit for the host at all?

Best,

Gulay

If you have the security deposit, you can decide costs for damage, and the guest has to pursue you if they don't agree. In my long term rental, I hold it, and if damage occurs would simply get a quote to repair / replace and deduct that amount, up to me if I would amortize etc.

@Pete0

I don't think you understand the AirBnB policy Gulay is dealing with, Pete.  It is far different than what you suggest is SOP for lease rentals.

Hi Pete,

Is your long term rental through AirBnB? You've mentioned you hold the security deposit. Is the AirBnB security deposit policy different for long term rentals?

Best,

Gulay

AirBnB is not suited for Long Term Rentals but if you use it the Security Deposit system is the same.

David

Understood. Thank you.

In my case, the answer is no. I have a security deposit on my listing and despite trying to get reimbursed for damages a guest made to my refrigerator, and providing reasonable documentation (receipts and emails from the guest) to support my claim, it has been refused because I don't have the equivalent of a police report from the local repairperson (who very kindly came to my rescue when I needed to replace my fridge in the middle of summer with another guest arriving the next day). It's a scam.

Not only do they not hold a security deposit, they inform guests that !!! total Joke, its simply a competative move to attract more bookings at the hosts expence !!!

David, I've always had $200 security deposit held by AirBnB & the amount was up to me. If I had a problem, then they say they will hold it until "whatever" is determined. Lately I was thinking of lowering it to $100 just so it may help keep out the "undesirables" possibly?!🤔

But since I started, I've had no trouble whatsoever......I do try to cater towards business or traveling nurses, etc. I have declined 28 I think so far that seemed questionable, so I try to be careful [so far, so good]! 

Hi, Glenda.

How long have you been renting through AirBnB (relating to the 28 declinations and "so far, so good").   And also curious as to how lowering the required deposit to $100 would serve to "keep out the undesireables."  I would think it would have the opposite effect.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Yes, there is a benefit. AirBNB has their host guarantee, but like most insurance, they are not going to pay out without a fight and they will pull every trick in the book to pay as little as possible. Depreciation etc. By having a security deposit, you are more likely to have the situation resolved in your favor. Not a guarantee, but it increases the odds.  It also sends a message to the guest that they will be held responsible for damages, so they might be a bit more careful with your belongings.

I understand. Will AirBnB not reimburse the host for the damages for a claim, if there is not security deposit, then?

I recently had a claim. It was not a high dollar amount. My guest spilled what appeared to be Orange juice on my white sheets. She attempted to wash the sheets without pre-treating, so she set the stains. She also didn't mention she'd had the accident, unfortunately. I discovered it when I was looking for the missing sheet and found it still in the dryer.

I sent her a request for money to purchase a new set of sheets. She ignored my request so after 72 hours, I involved AirBNB. I provided time-stamped photos showing the stains and provided a link to the replacement sheets and price.

They said that because I don't have a history of filing damage claims and it wasn't a large amount, they went ahead and paid me what I asked.  The money was sent 48 hours after I contacted AirBNB. 

I'm sure for bigger claims or if you frequently make claims, they may be less cooperative. But most insurance is reluctant to pay out without a bit of effort.

Airbnb does not hold a security deposit and tells all prospective guest that so what do you think they attract !!!

Airbnb does not hold a security deposit !!!!