Guest damages not paid but review is due

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

Guest damages not paid but review is due

Hi Fellow hosts,

I’m looking for some feedback to review a guest who left my bathroom vanity countertop/sink broken upon check out. The guest admitted to the damage upon checkout but is refusing to pay for the cost of replacement. I have sent the request for the cost to replace and install a new countertop/vanity and will escalate the case to Airbnb. In the meantime I must write a review and this is where I need advice. I’ve read to not mention things that will be sent to the resolution center but I want to warn other hosts of this guest. This is what I’ve come up with: 
Xx’s large group stayed for a few days. Everything started out good, but ended as a negative experience. There is significant damage to the property which Xx told me about upon checkout. However I have yet to receive agreement to accept the costs of repair and replacement. For this reason I do not recommend hosting Xx. 
Suggestions on the review please?! 

3 Replies 3

Wait a bit longer, it's probably for the best. After the situation clears out, then you should leave the review, if possible. Maybe it was a single occurrence with the guest, it is unfortunate and extremely rude, but it doesn't mean that it is a habit of theirs.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Katrina79 

It is difficult to comment not knowing what 'significant damage' you are referring to and when it was caused during the guests stay (you say she didn't mention till check out).

What impact did it have on your business?

Did you have to cancel upcoming guests?

I would says something like.

"Although initially there was good communication with this guest. Sadly her party caused XXXX damage to my property which XXX did not disclose until check out. Unfortunately despite admitting to causing the damage, XXX has at the time of writing the review, not agreed to pay for the damage caused by her party. I cannot recommend  X to future hosts".

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Katrina79  you have 14 days to write a review. I would wait to see the outcome of my damage claim.