Guest didn’t turn up, request full refund and leaves all 1 star ratings

Nicolaas4
Level 2
Doha, Qatar

Guest didn’t turn up, request full refund and leaves all 1 star ratings

Dear Community,

a guest made a same day booking at 3:48 pm and I replied at 3:50 pm which is 2 minutes later with further requests etc. during the course of the day I messaged 3 tines. The guest never replied at all. My caretaker Went to the unit and waited for them until midnight. She slept over and left at 5 am the next morning. (I obviously pay my caretaker for each booking). My problem is the following:

the guest never replied back or made contact. 3 days after the booking she sends me a message saying she arrived between 9 and 10 pm (check in is 2 to 7 pm) and security refused her entry saying she should contact me. She claims she didn’t have internet and my number is abroad. She made a request for a full refund and rated me 1 star for all options. I contacted Airbnb for help to contact guest and sort this out but they can’t do anything. Facts: guest didn’t turn up, didn’t reply to my messages, didn’t contact me or Airbnb. Made contact after 3 days of the booking only. I’m sitting with 1 star ratings, guest refuse to change it, Airbnb ask me to consider giving her a refund. I haven’t agreed to it yet. I’m still to leave her a review and rating as I have 9 more days left. What should I do?!?! I’ve exhausted all options with Airbnb.

18 Replies 18
Captain-Suresh0
Level 1
Panchkula, India

Your guest doesn't deserve any refund. But yes, if we may look at this that she is guest and may consider for part refund, but then she was very impoilte and trugger happy to shoot 1 Star rating. Airbnb is trying to pleasem its customer by getting your hard earned money, afterall you pay your caretaker. I think Airbnb should help you remove that 1 Star rating once or twice at least. You may consider to do part refund, which could be for the food or the electricity not consumed, though your overheads don;t allow you. 

Hi Captain Suresh, thank you for the reply.

unfortunately Airbnb refused to remove the seven 1 star ratings the customer left me. They said she didn’t violate their policy.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Nicolass0

Use your right to reply to this guest review.

Dear Guest XYZ

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to write me this review.

I appreciate that it must have taken you considerable time and effort, to pen this review, considering you cancelled this booking at the last minute and NEVER set foot in my accommodation.

You have also requested a full refund  although it was your choice to cancel, whilst I may lose money due to financial and other penalties to my listing.

I appreciate any guest who chooses to spend money with me at my accomodation until they act like this.

I appreciate feedback whether positive or negative so others can see the entitled guest I sometimes have to deal with.

Have a nice day.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Nicolaas4 and they wont remove it unfortunately. Don't give her any refund, that money is the least you deserve for all the trouble she put you in. Just give her 1* on everything and thumbs down. On the other hand, I don't see her review, and how do you have 9 days left to review her if you already see her review?

Hi Ana,

Thank you for the reply. I think I’ll take your advice.

airbnb resolution center confirmed with me that the guest gave me 1 stars in all 7 sections, and told me that once I leave a review I will see it. They also told me that the guest didn’t leave any comments just the star ratings. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Ana0

How can a responsible host leave 1*Stars all round to this guest as this guest NEVER set foot on his property?

We are venturing into the realms of opinion and not fact.

How can this host rate this guest 1*star for cleanliness? 

How can this host rate this guest 1*star for anything else? apart from communication, which was poor!

The host should write a factual review or reply to this guests review.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Victoria567 and how can the guest rate him 1* for everything if she wasn't there? The written review should be factual but how can he rate her 5* if she never went there, left him 1* on everything and demands a refund when he had to pay a person stay there all day and evening? And he cant reply because she didn't leave a written review.

Hi Victoria,

The other way around as well. How can we or Airbnb allow the guest to rate the host with seven 1 stars if the guest was at fault, didn’t communicate and didn’t set foot in the unit. The poor communication wasn’t coming from the host but the customer. The guest is actually doing more damage to the host. The repercussions for the host is more like loosing the superhost status and negatively influencing the business. 

@Nicolaas4   I agree with @Victoria  re: a factual review.  You could even go one step further and add the part about the caretaker waiting for her and being on the premises until 5am.  See if you can avoid the ratings and just thumb down - not sure if that is an option.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

How do you know she has left you 1 star rating when you still have your review to do?

Reviews are blind until both parties leave a review or 14 days have passed

Hi Chris,

ive contacted Airbnb support few days ago fir help and to contact the customer and to solve this issue. Airbnb have since confirmed to me on the chat that the guest left me 1 star ratings. They’ve given me the 7 criteria’s that I will be scored on and told me she gave me 1 stars. I disputed the star ratings and told them she’s giving 1 stars and she didn’t even stay in the unit. But still refuse to remove it. 

Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

I recently had a similar review removed. Try this:

-Reach out via Twitter AirBnB Help "I have received a review that violates AirBnB Content Policy and need assistance"

-They will send you a PM asking for your account information

-Respond with your account information and add booking ####### has a review that "does not represent the author’s personal experience or that of their travel companions" as per AirBnB content policy." Because they never entered the home, please have your Content Policy team review and remove.

-You will get a personal call or message via AirBnB to work it out. Just keep saying the same thing "this violates AirBnB Content Policy, please have it removed".

-Don't discuss or agree to a refund (it has nothing to do with a review), the room was ready, you paid fo services to accommodate them.

Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

Hi Nicholas, this is totally wrong that they will not remove, as Victoria points out how can you review when they didn't stay. The guest has a cheek asking for a refund plus it is going to cost you. As they won't remove her review make sure you put a red flag out to other hosts Not to accept this guest. Cheers jackie 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

This is totally unacceptable and the review should be removed.  It is the guest's responsibility to read the listing and understand the rules and policies, including the check-in time. 

Unfortunately, we know that most people do not take the time to read and many people consider AirBnb to be a hotel service, where they can book basically anonymously as they would a hotel. As hosts, we know that Air is about more than that and is built on community and trust. 

It's because of this lack of communication from guests like the one you mentioned, that I have turned off instant booking and now approve each booking individually only after they have satisfied my expectations with communication and showing that they understand the rules and policies.