Guest doesn't set a check-in time, decides not to stay, and threatens a bad review.

Answered!
Leah35
Level 2
Rochester, MN

Guest doesn't set a check-in time, decides not to stay, and threatens a bad review.

So I haven't had any problems yet. I have 5 stars and good reviews. My check-in times are flexible, and I usually always check for messages and/or try to contact the guest to get a time when they will be arriving so that I may be there, or let them in via my security box through my cell phone. This particular guest never responded when I asked what time they would arrive. Then, I had to go to work. So I responded 30 minutes after their reply, to which they said they found another place to stay and wouldn't be coming. I told them that the place is still available, that my cancellation policy is the most flexible that AirBNB offers, and that I was at work and did not get a response from them about what time they would be there in advance. I told them I would not issue a full refund as I did not have time to fill the space and get notice beforehand. I feel that I set all of my policies to be flexible and fair with guests. All I ask in return is that they are flexible and fair with me. Should I do nothing and if they leave a bad review and didn't stay, can I contact AirBNB?

The guest hasn't canceled, but they will not be staying with me. They plan to leave the reservation as is and leave a bad review! Help! I have good reviews, 5 stars so far. I don't think this is very fair in my position.

I understand the guest had to wait a bit, but since they didn't specify a time when they would be there and didn't answer when I asked, I don't know how I would have avoided this. The policy of AirBNB doesn't state that we have to immidately reply. I think that 30 minutes is reasonable when you are messaging through a system and gave no indication when you would arrive prior to that.

1 Best Answer
Melissa183
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Conact Airbnb and let them know if the situation. They did not reponde when expected. Most travelers contact the host to make sure they will have a place to stay! It does not make any sense. I have a strict cancellation policy and when issues arise we solve them on a case by case basis. Actually, I undestand that if they did not stay they cannot leave a review. I am not sure... Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Melissa183
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Conact Airbnb and let them know if the situation. They did not reponde when expected. Most travelers contact the host to make sure they will have a place to stay! It does not make any sense. I have a strict cancellation policy and when issues arise we solve them on a case by case basis. Actually, I undestand that if they did not stay they cannot leave a review. I am not sure... Good luck!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If they leave a review which is contestable contact AirBnB and see if they will remove it.

Flexible many people seem to think is that you are at their beck and call.

David
Leah35
Level 2
Rochester, MN

Thank you! I called AirBNB and they said they won't cancel it on my end or on their end, but I will still get paid. Also they said the person can't leave a bad review if they aren't staying. So I'm happy.