Guest doesn't show up but said to ABB support that he did,

Andrea2066
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Guest doesn't show up but said to ABB support that he did,

This is a first for me and I 'd like to know if anybody found himself in the same situation and possible implications.

A guest from Tel Aviv requested to book 6 days to celebrate his birthday together with his partner. A day before arrival I requested ETA and received no response.Ten hours later I renew my request with no avail.

At first my concern was for the wellbeing of the guest that having paid £ 800 seems unable to protect his purchase in any how. 

So I contracted ABB support that offer to call the guest and retrieve the all relevant information. And this is when it all went a bit STRANGE to say the least.

He communicated to the ABB operator that he did in fact checked in and found keys under doormat...??!!??

I had no even a glimpse at the guest and for the matter no other message than the first and only one.

I would be laying if I said I didn't dwell on the matter for the past 6 hours. 

Not finding a plausible reason to justify this odd behaviour this were I end up to find some reasoning to this very unusual event.

I 've been feeling very uneasy and bedevilled especially when confronted with a certain aloofness of the ABB operator which seems to find the all situation not concerning enough to cancel the booking altogether and release payment,especially considering the fact that he was not able to contact the guest in two successive attempt.

Did anybody out there encountered a similar situation? 

Even when is not so ,does anybody have any idea of why the convoluted and paradoxical guest behaviour ?

I assume is a scam but no idea how it works. Certainly it doesn't end with the scammer loosing money in my book 

Anyway to make things worse the ABB expect me to oblige to the booking for his entire duration. Meaning not going far from home and keeping it to the highest standards I am known for.......really ???

It's unfair unsafe and preposterous to expect a host to deal with such a convoluted guest especially when even them are now unable to reach him on his phone do confront him on his lies.

I 've been scratching my head since this morning and is now 1:00 AM and I wouldn't be surprised if you will too trying to figure this out.

4 Replies 4
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Andrea2066

Ghost guest for Halloween.

You can't get to the bottom of this conundrum unless new facts emerge.

Perhaps the guest has a very colourful private life where lies comes as standard.

I can't see an angle for it to be some scam unless it something to do with stolen credit card details as normally it comes with a hit- a request for you to hand over some payment prior to a charge back.

Maybe the guest just went to the wrong Abbey Road?

I've had a smattering of no-show guests over the years but always they explained in advance or just afterwards, and it's always for a day or two day booking. I'd write a brief message to the guest summarising the events so far as a public record on the airbnb system , a signpost in case any further developments happen. You have done all you can so far.

I could not possibly agree more with your statement.

On the positive note I just got fully paid and is already a distant memory.Hopefully is not coming back to bite into my a**

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Andrea2066

I say he/she booked two locations and stayed at the wrong one. or alternatively, they work for Mossad and they need multiple locations for covert operations, leave sleeping dogs lay!

Noooo not another state killing pls between Russia and Saudi Arabia I think we got plenty for this year.