Guest extends stay and I get less money

Answered!
Amir722
Level 2
Austin, TX

Guest extends stay and I get less money

Hi - wondering how others would deal w/ this situation. I have a guest that booked for 5 nights, on the morning of their supposed departure they requested to stay for another night...the house was free, so sure I'll take payment for one more night. Later, they requested to stay for a 7th night - which would activate my weekly stay discount and the total would actually go back to close to the original 5 night amount (I use AirBnb's recommended 20% discount for weekly stays). Why would I accept a change like this that would actually reduce my net payout?

What do others do in situations like this? 

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Amir722 

You need to make the reservation extension ("change" option on the reservation) yourself (as a host).

Click in the pricefield in the change form and amend the price.

Extending a stay towards a week is not the same as booking the whole week in advance. You can give some discount of you want, but you are not obliged to grant the full weekly discount.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Amir722 

In the end, the duration of the stay was 7 days and not 5 days. Therefore, the discount applies to the duration of the stay.

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Amir722  "Why would I accept a change like this that would actually reduce my net payout?" I don't quite understand. This guest did stay for one week. So had they booked the entire week to start with, your payout would be the same as what you are looking at now.

You don't have to follow Airbnb's recommended pricing tips, you know. Most hosts ignore them. A weekly discount of 10% seems perfectly adequate to me. I don't offer discounts at all, as my listing is already quite a good deal, and most of my guests book for a week or more anyway. The only reason to offer discounts is if you are trying to attract longer bookings. 

I certainly wouldn't piss off this guest by making anything of this with him. That could very well lead him to leave a bad review. I would just look at it as him having booked a week to start with. It isn't his fault you have a weekly discount.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Amir722, @Sarah977 @Ricardo85 

Can you set the extra day as a new reservation?  @Sarah977 you may have better experience than I do to answer this question.

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@M199 

Yes, you can.

Just make sure your listing accepts 1 day booking.

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Amir722 

You need to make the reservation extension ("change" option on the reservation) yourself (as a host).

Click in the pricefield in the change form and amend the price.

Extending a stay towards a week is not the same as booking the whole week in advance. You can give some discount of you want, but you are not obliged to grant the full weekly discount.

Leslie708
Level 2
Huntsville, AL

This is a post of experience in the extended nights requested and was never paid. I had a guest request a extra night and I accepted but was never paid. What I gathered is if the guest does not pay for the extra night it doesn’t not notify you. It just checks them out. So if you offer extended days make sure they pay before they check out. If they don’t pay they will have to check out per original date. I’ve tried to get paid for that additional night and have not been paid because they will not answer calls from Airbnb. #awaitingpayment #extendedstay #payment