Guest flooded my apartment; have not heard from Airbnb

John1930
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Guest flooded my apartment; have not heard from Airbnb

Some **bleep** passed out in the shower of our rental and flooded the apartment and the garage, causing between $10,000--$20,000 of damage to hardwood floors, insulation, drywall, carpet, etc.

Airbnb touts their Air Cover for Hosts, but I have heard nothing about the status of my claim.

I have submitted photos, estimates and invoices.

Has anyone else had a problem being reimbursed?

thanks

John

11 Replies 11
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Thats a nightmare sorry to hear about that, 

Let say in my case the two claims I made I got paid, Not the full amount but better than nothing, I couldn't seem to get through to the woman I was dealing with the reason the item was more expensive here in Thailand was because of high import tax Airbnb would only pay me the cost of what it is in America,

In your case that is a big job I do hope you get that resolved, 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@John1930 I hope while you’re waiting on airbnb, you have contacted your home owner’s insurance company. The last thing you want is for mold to start sporing. 

And thank goodness he didn’t drown in your place. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gwen386 

Homeowners insurance doesn't cover guest damages. In fact, most insurers would automatically cancel your policy if they found out you are doing STR. I am not sure even landlord's insurance covers it, but it might. I think you need to specifically have insurance for STR.

Also, some policies will cover accidental damages and others won't, and there are usually pretty strict terms about what counts and what doesn't. It's really not that simple.

I was looking for a new insurance policy the other day and, believe me, once you read the small print, it's not easy to find ones that cover this type of situation. 

@Huma0 

That really sucks.

Keep calling Airbnb support and also write to them on Twitter. I found twitter the fastest response. 

Mike from West Palm

@Huma0 It definitely depends on the insurance company one’s policy is with. I’m with Erie, and before I started airbnb, I contacted them about additional coverage. Not only did I not need additional coverage, my insurance covered STRs. They wouldn’t, however, cover LTRs, which the lessee would have to get renter’s insurance. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gwen386 

That's interesting. You have an entire listing, so I assume that's not residence, or do you just let it out when you are away/not using it?

@Huma0 My STR is my 815sf basement studio apt with private entrance. I live upstairs.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gwen386 

So, you have the same policy to cover the studio and also the part where you live or two separate policies?

Sorry, I am just curious as I haven't found a 'homeowner's' policy here, i.e. one that covers your own residence, that seems to cover STR at all. Maybe it's totally different in other countries, but I am really struggling to find anything here that fits.

I have heard that there are a couple of UK insurance companies that cover STR, but these seem to be policies for separate properties, not homeowners' ones.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@John1930  someone else recently had a guess snap off a faucet to the bath and flood her place, and her claim was denied (they said the faucet was faulty, even though it clearly seemed it was her guests' fault, they sounded [using polite words] soft in the head)

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Huma0 It’s just one policy for my entire residence. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gwen386 

Thanks. Okay, I will keep looking (unless some UK hosts have suggestions?). I've yet to come across a homeowners policy here that allows STR, let alone one that doesn't charge extra for it!