Guest from China and Corona virus

Answered!

Guest from China and Corona virus

Hi can anyone help please. I received a booking from China yesterday for a stay at my place next week. With the news about the Chinese Corona virus: How worried should I be?

1 Best Answer
Anh-and-David0
Level 3
New York, United States

I decided to cancel my guest's reservation even though she's supposed to check in today.  I had to call AB&B to process the cancellation due to the short notice.  AB&B mentioned they're getting a lot of calls about the outbreak, and were willing to cancel the reservation penalty-free for both me and the guest.

The guest is getting all their money back and I am not being penalized as host.  I feel badly to inconvenience them, but frankly it's just not worth the risk to my family.  I did some research and sent her suggestions for alternative lodging close by and at similar cost.  Hopefully it won't ruin their trip.

Good luck to the rest of you, hopefully the outbreak gets controlled quickly.

View Best Answer in original post

99 Replies 99
Anh-and-David0
Level 3
New York, United States

I decided to cancel my guest's reservation even though she's supposed to check in today.  I had to call AB&B to process the cancellation due to the short notice.  AB&B mentioned they're getting a lot of calls about the outbreak, and were willing to cancel the reservation penalty-free for both me and the guest.

The guest is getting all their money back and I am not being penalized as host.  I feel badly to inconvenience them, but frankly it's just not worth the risk to my family.  I did some research and sent her suggestions for alternative lodging close by and at similar cost.  Hopefully it won't ruin their trip.

Good luck to the rest of you, hopefully the outbreak gets controlled quickly.

Kim418
Level 8
Tasmania, Australia

I have guests from China here ATM. 

I have googled how it's spread and read that if someone who is infectious coughs on a surface, then someone touches that surface then their mouth or nose...they are at risk.

No-one knows how long the germs can survive on surfaces.

So I need to know how best to clean the rooms after they have checked out.

And Airbnb really do need to advise us on all of our concerns.

I have the same concern.  I had 4 guests check in last week before the news went public.  Is it appropriate to address the concerns with my guests who are here for another week? 

I would put a mask on (in case virus is airborne), wear clothes that can be washed with bleach and long thick gloves you will throw out (kitchen latex gloves). First open all windows, allow as much sunlight (kills viruses) in room & spray air and all surfaces with Lysol. I would then leave and wait an hour for it to work. Wash everything.  All dishes in dishwasher with sanitize option. Wipe all surfaces with disinfectant containing bleach along with furniture for clothing, seats/chairs, handles, knobs, light switches. Wash all laundry in hot with vinegar added. Dry in high heat. Throw out any snacks, including wrapped ones. Disinfect floors & wash all shower liners/throw out & replace. I hope this helps!

Hi Kim418,

I would be concerned also and your question is very valid.

I read that you should constantly be wiping your hands when on an airplane so possibly alcohol would be good to clean? 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Kim418 have you been and been tested for Corona Virus/ Covid19?

Have you undertaken self isolation?

Or heard from your guests since they have returned to China.

Hope you are well 🙂

Hi @Helen427 

Thanks for your concern.

It's been 2 months now, I cleaned with bleach (I had a pregnant guest checking in a few hours later!) every single surface and washed linen in bleachy detergent.

I didn't get sick, never heard from guests again.

However, I immediately blocked ALL future dates. I haven't accepted another booking, because I was SO disappointed with Airbnb for not giving me any advice...left me, and the pregnant guest hanging.

I'm so disappointed in how Airbnb has done such a stark 180 from their original mission.

I'm so good at  coronavirus cleaning though, I have accepted a few private bookings from people needing to self isolate after arriving in Tasmania (not due to illness, but prevention measures)...just friends and family and people they know who know I have accommodation that is vacant.

Good luck to you, and stay safe!

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I wouldn't wait for Airbnb to provide direction on this. Rather, I would try and do a little homework on what corona viruses are, and what the recommendations are, currently. It appears to be an evolving situation, since the current coronavirus is new.

Here's some light reading for folks who are interested. 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus#1

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Thanks @Michelle53 - good advice to do our own homework.. though wouldn't want to let Airbnb off the hook here. They really should be giving regular updates on this issue - they surely have better resources than us, to get the best advice and pass it on to us.

PS Feeling (selfishly) grateful that I don't have any Chinese reservations in the offing - I know I'd be nervous if I did 😞

@Patricia55  I understand your point about not letting them off the hook, but I doubt they have any better information than the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) , and would most likely just point there, anyway, as a source of information. 

I realize that is US-centric. 

For WHO (World Health Organization) updates, go here. 

https://www.who.int/ith/2020-24-01-outbreak-of-Pneumonia-caused-by-new-coronavirus/en/

Remember, also, that China is an enormous country. I'm absolutely *not* saying don't be concerned, but firstly, travel has been shut down, now, for Wuhan (the main source of the virus), and secondly, someone may come from an area really far away from Wuhan, and not pose a high risk.  For example, it's over 1100 km from Wuhan to Beijing. 

Also, major airports are screening passengers for people showing symptoms (resembling the flu).

Airbnb seems to be doing the right thing, at the moment, which is cancelling bookings on request. (anecdotal, from my reading in this forum). 

@Michelle53  It doesn't matter that it's 1100 km from Wuhan to Beijing- it was reported today that they have a case in Beijing. Screening for symptoms doesn't really help- symptoms don't appear right away even if one is infected. So it's spreading quickly because people travel and don't always know that they have been exposed to something.

That said, while it's certainly a huge concern, we're surrounded by bacteria and viruses every time we go out in public, go to work, etc. I'm sure hosts got sick occasionally, sometimes really sick, before they were ever Airbnb hosts. 

We should all be diligent about disinfecting surfaces when we are hosts, especially door knobs and handles, faucets, light switches, etc- anything that people touch a lot, no matter whether there is an epidemic of some new virus or not.

@Sarah977  I've been watching the updates as things evolve.  WHO is also saying that screening doesn't catch someone who may have the virus but be asymptomatic, but that is helps to create awareness in the travelling public. 

I feel like the scramble to evacuate areas they were trying to quarantine contributed in part to the spread internationally. (viruses are quite smart, actually, for small protein blobs). 

The recommendations talk about the same preventative measures as most other viruses - hand washing with soap, avoiding touching one's face, covering a cough or a sneeze, avoiding contact with someone who is sick.  Most folks interviewed today in the media said masks are not really effective - although apparently they are being issued to flight attendants, along with gloves, but not to passengers. Yet, anyway. 

If I remember correctly, flu viruses are active on surfaces for about 24 - 48 hours.  Although we don't know much about the new coronavirus. 

Since I have a day blocked on each end of every reservation for cleaning, I haven't been that concerned about guests sharing viruses. I always wear gloves when I clean.  But if one's turnover is shorter than that, I agree it makes sense to take extra care to disinfect surfaces. 

Also, I don't use the space myself - it's just for guests, so perhaps I'm a bit less affected than someone who is sharing common areas with a guest who might be a potential carrier.

I haven't read anything specific on preferred cleaning products, but the usual recommendations include bleach, vinegar and baking soda, household soap, peroxide etc. 

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

My guest's origin shows Hong-Kong. Although, it is outside of the "area of concern", the virus has no borders. After monitoring the news from at least 3 counties, the virus showing the growth and not the slowing, I have decided to request the penalty-free cancellation as a host and sent an apology to the guest. I recommended the best areas in town to re-book. The guest has replied with full understanding.

Hi Uki378, I think that was a good decision on your part. Hong Kong is part of China and people move freely.  With the disease being asymptomatic no telling if the person is a carrier or not.