Guest gets charged ‘cleaning fee’ from Airbnb but I don’t charge cleaning fee!

Teresa345
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Guest gets charged ‘cleaning fee’ from Airbnb but I don’t charge cleaning fee!

Hi there, i have just found out after chatting to our guests over the last times we have hosted that they get charged a ‘cleaning fee’ but i actually do not charge a ‘cleaning fee’!  So why does the guest get charged for it as its not me that benefits from it? 

Can anyone enlighten me on this question please!

7 Replies 7
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Teresa345,

Could it be possible that the guests are interpreting "service fee" as "cleaning fee"?

When I go to book your listing for the night of the 27th of May there's a service fee of €9, room charge of €53 and no cleaning fee.

Airbnb charges guests a service fee. The percentage depends on the accommodation cost.

What are Airbnb service fees?

Steve.

Smart guess @Steve143. The hotel industry does uses those two words interchangeably, thus guests may oftentimes assume they mean the same thing.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have had hundreds and hundreds of guests and nobody has confused cleaning and service fee.

David
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Does your reservation confirmation show a cleaning fee or did the guest report to you a cleaning fee charge, @Teresa345?

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Everybody lies and/or is confused.

Why are you stressing over a guest's statement?

Just say "Hmmm, That's interesting. I don't charge a cleaning fee"

Richard989
Level 2
Trelill, United Kingdom

Hi @Teresa345@Linda108, did you find out an answer to this? I've just had a potential guest who was put off booking and complained because of the extra fees, and asked why I charged extra for cleaning, which I don't! I have that setting turned off on both of my listings. I switched to being a traveller and tried out booking myself and there was a cleaning fee charged by Airbnb ON TOP OF the service fee. This seems unfair practice by Airbnb if I'm not charging it, and I wonder how many other potential guests have been put off by this?

I would suggest if you are getting this feedback from potential guests you contact Air BNB directly.  Sounds like one of the system glitches we often experience.