Guest going into the kitchen with underweare and a shirt

Answered!
Judith630
Level 2
Hainesport, NJ

Guest going into the kitchen with underweare and a shirt

Hi everyone I have a guest for the last two weeks he is retired.  He started walking in the common areas with a bathroom robe on showing his bare chest. I have a single woman staying in one of the rooms. She found him in the kitchen with a shirt and underwear, the next time he was going out of his bathroom half-naked, she was not sure if he was entirely naked. The last thing he did yesterday he left the stove on with the frying pan with nothing in it. I was lucky enough to go over to that part of the house and turned it off. I text him and had a conversation about sharing spaces with other guests, cleaning up behind him as you may realize he left the kitchen with dirty dishes for days without washing. 

He told me this was his first Airbnb and he thought I should be doing more for him such as making coffee, washing his linens, and his personal clothes. I did wash his linens with another load from a check-out I had. I showed him the washing machine and how to use it for his personal clothes.

I need to go and meditate with this one, he has two more nights to go and I am not going anywhere to make sure my house is still standing.

1 Best Answer
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Judith630, @Emiel1 , @Brian2036 

This us a truly sad situation.  Sounds like  a possible early stage dementia.

Be nice to your other guest and explain the situation.  Most people when  they understand a situation usually are very helpful and understanding.

Hold your ground for the next few days😁👍

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Judith630 

I think there’s a strong possibility that this guy is losing his marbles.

That’s unfortunate but it’s not your fault nor are you responsible for taking care of him.

It sounds like what he needs is an assisted living apartment, not an Airbnb.

I hope your review reflects that.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Judith630 

I think you already showed a lot of patience with this guest, as he is clearly not suitable to stay in an Airbnb. This must be mentioned in your review or maybe even reported to Airbnb, although you already had a conversation with the guest about it.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Judith630, @Emiel1 , @Brian2036 

This us a truly sad situation.  Sounds like  a possible early stage dementia.

Be nice to your other guest and explain the situation.  Most people when  they understand a situation usually are very helpful and understanding.

Hold your ground for the next few days😁👍

Judith630
Level 2
Hainesport, NJ

Thanks to each and everyone for your reply. He called me to request a future stay without using Airbnb. I told him that is the only way he can book with me. He told me he appreciated my good hosting skills. 

He is 75 years old not sure if he has any medical condition. I do have a nurse staying with me and my background is in Physical therapist. In our long conversations, he mentioned that he has traveled all over the world...

@Judith630  It sounds to me like this guy simply had no concept of what an Airbnb is, if he expected you to act like his personal maid. 

As for his walking around partially clad, he probably just doesn't think it's a big deal. Personally, neither do I, but of course you have another guest to consider.

I live in the tropics- the weather is warm- it doesn't bother me at all for a male guest to go shirtless and boxer shorts are little different from men's surf shorts, even though one is considered to be underwear. Nor would it bother me for them to be wrapped in a towel after a shower. 

And my female guests will often just be wrapped in a sarong. 

As for the stove burner left on, that's in another category- it's  a failure of attention and a fire hazard.