Guest got a full refund by telling lies to Airbnb resolution manager

Vi15
Level 1
Manila, Philippines

Guest got a full refund by telling lies to Airbnb resolution manager

this guest booked and cancelled reservation for 16 persons on the day of check in. He Got full refund despite strict cancellation. found out that he lied to the resolution manager when i got the chance to communicate with the RM. (resolution manager). after a few minutes a girl called me and introduced herslf as sister of the guest who booked my property and informing me that the'yre on their way to my place to my surprise!  I told them that the reservation has been cancelled by them. and i am  surprised that they are actually 25 persons and not 16!   to make the long story short, i pity the small children and allowed them to check in despite number of persons. and i did not charge a single penny for the 9 persons in excess of 16.  i sent offer again and they accepted it.

I informed Airbnb about the matter.   

the sad part is that they left with a lot of broken things in my house .. clogged restrooms, dirty rooms, one of the airconditioning units busted. dirt every corner .  mu question is how we as hosts protect from this kind of guests?  why resolution manager easy to decide without hearing the side of the host?  is there a time frame when to give refund to guest after the guest complained? 

7 Replies 7
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Vi15 why would you accept them? It is clear that they are going to be a problem. Our primary job is to protect our properties because in reality there is no way Airbnb can protect us all. You accepted guests that already canceled a reservation for 16 but came with 25 people and you didn't even charge them extra. Yes Airbnb has a long way to go and they should definitely improve in many many aspects, especially in their communication with hosts but this is so clear that it was going to be trouble. Did you communicate with the guests in the app? If you did, make sure to contact Airbnb and present the evidence. When they accepted the new reservation for 16 people you did get paid right? And they asked for a refund again? 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Ana1136 

"my question is how we as hosts protect from this kind of guests?" 

The answer to your question is, we take responsibility. Allowing 25 guests to stay in a 4 bedroom house, with just 4 queen beds and 4 floor mattresses, was a disaster waiting to happen - not to mention, a potentially serious safety hazard. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Susan17 I agree but it was @Vi15s question and not mine 🙂 

Oops sorry @Ana1136 - I meant to tag @Vi15 but must have pressed you instead! My apologies! 😊

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Vi15 @Ana1136 @Susan17 

Obviously the first booking got a refund due to their lies, but the group still managed to travel and book despite those lies. Doesn't that make the lies invalid whatever they were?

What lies were told which managed to get a refund and did the original booking guest arrive as well?

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

Yeah, the details are quite muddled on that. Either way though, the host herself agreed to allow 25 guests into a 4 bedroom home, so its not really any surprise that clogged toilets, broken itema and excessive dirt was the end result.  

@Susan17 @Vi15 

I was thinking more that if the original guest turned up after lying to get out of a booking then Airbnb have no right to cancel and Vi should be entitled to her 50% cancellation fee.

Condoning lies as a reason for cancellation is simply no excuse.