Guest has be fearing for my family’s safety

Guest has be fearing for my family’s safety

New to hosting and have had some really great guests so far until this past week! We we first communicated she was coming off really rude but I just blew it off as it was her first time using air bnb, I tried my best to accommodate her in everyway just for her and a friend to leave a weeks worth of garbage in the home (making it smell like rotten garbage for days) and not disposing of it at the end of there stay (which is my only main house rule ‘take your garbage with you) and using my door mats as dog beds. My review was just ‘spent a busy long weekend trying to accommodate in everyway to be left with a weeks worth off garbage’ she left a positive review but once she saw mine wanted her review removed and spent 2 days basically harassing me. She replied under my review that there is a tree on my property that could fall on my home at anytime, I know for a fact that is not true but now I am fearing the safety of my family and other future guests as I do not know what this lady is capable of. My opinion is to go to law enforcement but I feel that may be to much what can I do in this situation?

4 Replies 4

@Rocco72  You can block further contact from the guest via Airbnb:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2020/how-do-i-report-a-message-or-block-someone-on-airbnb

And also block the guest's number on your phone if she's contacting you there. But I can't tell from your post what led you to believe that the former guest might endanger your family's safety enough to call the police. Was there a specific threat?

We have a very small cottage and for her to say a tree could come down on it anytime is just making me concerned as I do know know what she may be capable of, as she has dragged this simple honest review this far, I host a lot of families with young kids and I wouldn’t want anything to happen when guest or my family is there.

@Rocco72 I just wouldn't worry about it. Do you think this person will get someone to bring the tree down over a poor Airbnb review? I think it's pretty unlikely. It's pretty easy for guests to just make a new profile. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Rocco72 Let this be a lesson not to ignore the red flags with potential guests. Don’t be afraid to decline if they request to stay, or scare them off, if they send an inquiry. They will generally always be costly in some way or another. Rude is rude, whether you are new to Airbnb or not. Same with being demanding or needy. 

Do as Andrew suggests and block this person. It’s just drama.