Guest inquires but has not completed profile

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Guest inquires but has not completed profile

This is a post I originally posted on another forum, which I am reposting here to start a new discussion on it.  

"I got an inquiry today from a guest who has no photo or verifications.  What should I do?"

This is a VERY common question that new hosts have, about what to do when they get an inquiry from a guest who has not completed their profile.  It is an EXTREMELY common question, which has, historically, been asked about every couple days on the soon-to-be-former New Hosts Forum.  WHich is part of why, in another post  (here:  https://community.airbnb.com/t5/The-Living-Room/New-Hosts-Forum-veterans-and-others-discussion-about... )  I refer to New Hosts Forum regulars as "veterans"!! Yes, these patient souls on the old forums were busy day after day after day, answering the same question over and over and over, owing to a nonfunctional search function, so that newbies couldn't look up the same question that had just been asked 2 days prior, and 3 days prior to that, and then the day before that, etc for about 2 full years back.  

I am hoping that the frequency of this query will be lessened by the fact that these new groups have a working search function.  ( I just tested the search function and found it to work) SO.... on the inquiry, guest has either no photo,or they have no verifications, or only scant verifications.  Their whole profile may be blank -- we do get some of those -- the blank cartoon profile who wants to stay at your house, who may send you a very short message which reflects, in its own concerning way, the staggering lack of info on the profile.  The guest may say, "Hi, I'm Mike.  I want to stay at your house.  Do you have it available?"  

So my question for you as new hosts is...what do you do when you get such an inquiry?  You may think that actually YOU should be asking ME and other experienced hosts this question.  BUt there is a reason that I am asking YOU this question, as a new-ish host.  Why is that? IT's because I think it will be helpful for you in many questions that have to do with your entire guest screening process, that you need to think about developing your guest screening process. The question "what do I do with this inquiry" indicates that you haven't yet set up a screening process or strategy or system.  You may have been assuming that Airbnb will do all your screening for you, and present you with nice little people all tied up in neat red bows, all guaranteed to be perfect guests.  That would be great, but that isn't how the system works.  

WHen you start doing hosting, you are actually setting up a property rental business, a small business.  If you have never been in this business before, there are a lot of things to learn from someone who has.  Having a business where you are bringing people into your home to live with you is a very intimate, relational, intriguing type of business, and while it can seem easy when you hear the stories of the fantastic guests and all going well, it is not an easy business when things go wrong.  Because in that case, you have something going wrong WHERE YOU LIVE, and to say that this can be difficult or challenging is a considerable understatement at times.   I know people who have had to move out of their own home when "things went bad" with a renter there.   For things to get so VERY bad is quite rare, but milder problems are not too uncommon.  

So, the point I'm getting at, is that the question "What do I do when the guests' profile isnt complete?" actually suggests a more important question behind the question, which is "How do I screen guests?"  

Profile "Verifications" are nice but they are no guarantee that a guest will be a good one.  They may guarantee that the guest's name is what the guest says his name is, or the guest's phone number is what she said her phone number is.  Now stop and think how knowing that the phone number is correct,  is going to help ensure that your guest doesn't leave dirty dishes in the sink, doesn't violate your house rules and smoke in your house, doesn't say she is bringing 2 people and then end up with 20 people in your no-partying, max #guests = 4  house partying just a short while after you check her in and she says, "You won't have any problems with me, I'll follow all your rules."  People say that Verified ID helps with "security" , and this is true, but we dont actually have too many guests burglarizing homes, trashing the hosts' property, or committing other high crimes.  More often, the "crimes" hosts see are of a more petty stature, such as -- the guest who keeps "forgetting" to clean out the tub after bathing, the guest who thinks that it is THEIR rules and not the hosts' rules which should apply in the hosts' home, or the guest who "sneaks in" a "friend" overnight, when you dont allow guests to have visitors.  

The point being, in your screening process you need to think about what kind of person you want, what kind of problem behavior you want to avoid, and figure out questions that will help you discern what you might expect from any given guest.  Verifications are a starting point, but are no guarantee of good behavior.  

To have an effective screening process, you need to first determine what kind of guest  or behavior you want or dont' want, and come up with the right questions to discern what you need to know.  And now, having said all this -- maybe you feel confident enough to be able to answer your own question -- "What do i do if the guest doesn't have a complete profile?"  Answer --- You ask the guest to complete their profile.  Or, you let the blank cartoon figure named Mike book your place, based on his 15 word inquiry.  Your screening process, your choice.  

ANy other ideas/reflections on this topic?  

9 Replies 9
Queenie0
Level 10
United States

It's difficult to develop a new process on something you know nothing about. So I strongly recommend new hosts, or those considering hosting, to do some research. Read the listings and house rules of other hosts in your area, or with a similar listing in another location, or just a more experienced host. My own listings are under constant revision based on issues that have come up in forums. Issues that I would rather prevent than have to deal with.

Keith0
Level 9
Calgary, Canada

Long. Read carefully. Do not scan. Understand the following.

Let's try to understand it from the searcher's (not yet even a potential guest) perspective:

Searcher is planning a trip to your town. Hears about Airbnb. Checks Expedia, checks AMA travel. Checks with friends.

Decides they want to check-out Airbnb. They are not looking to become part of a trust community. They are looking for a place to stay and Airbnb is one channel of several.

Enter their search criteria into the Airbnb website search engine. Get some results but also get a pop-up saying sign-up to get more info.

Ignore the pop-up and try to look at a few listings. Continue to get a pop-up asking them to sign up. Sign up is free.

Try this yourself with an incognito search. We have to understand in depth what our potential guest's process is.

Remember the Airbnb design is to more to matching guests and hosts as quickly as possible and eliminate blocks in the process as smoothly as possible. Yes for the most part this design is approached from the Guest side, not the Host side.

OK, back to the process.

So the searcher thinks, OK, let's sign-up so I can see what is available. They provide the minimum info possible. After all, they are just looking for a place to stay; they are not looking to become a member of a community.

The searcher thinks, well maybe I can provide a picture and all that extra stuff later, if I decide Airbnb is for me. Right now I am just checking out places to stay.

So they now have a have-baked profile and they search is on. They find your place, or more accurately the Airbnb algorithms match them to you based on hundred of signals.

So they submit an inquiry to you. No verifications, no pic, no info. Don't even tell you why they are coming. Just. is your place available? About what they'd say on a Kijiji/Craigslist response.

Once they have inquired they see a pop-up saying, "don't stop there, inquire at more places for your trip to Calgary."

That is their process. We must understand it and understand that we will always have more than 50% of the responsibility to guide them through the process. Whether the process is 'fair' or whether it is the best process is irrelevant.

OK, so what should we do? Determine our level of acceptable frustration. Put together templates of stock replies that will tell them your criteria and help them through the process. "Yes, Airbnb can be difficult to use at first, I will help you as much as I can. Once you have completed your first stay it becomes much easier as you will have a review. Then you can very easily stay in many amazing places all over the world from apartments to private islands to castles to igloos."

Then twelve hours later if they haven't done anything decline the inquiry with a note saying, "if you are still interested please complete your verification and profile and answer the questions I asked earlier. I hope you can stay with us but need these criteria met first."

Now, to try to answer your question about getting Airbnb to help. They understand the issue, but will always approach it first from a speedy matching perspective. And, to them, that means from the guest side.

Check something. Go to your dashboard and check you number of inquiries, not views, over any period. I think you will find the number of inquiries is greater than the number you received. That is because some inquiries were intercepted by Airbnb for more info, that you did not even see. So, Airbnb is trying to get us the best quality (read matching) inquiries.

I am not defending the process, just trying to understand it, maximize it and live with it.

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

I understand what you are saying, @Keith0, about how this all looks from the guest's perspective, who is quite likely oriented to finding a place to stay as quickly and easily as possible, with the least amount of work.  

My post was not addressed to guests, but oriented to the newbie host who is suddenly nearly paralyzed  with uncertainty about what to do when they get an inquiry from a guest, which contains very little info. I'm not wanting to place all blame on the guest for not providing more info, I'm wanting to help hosts know what to do next , to be able to emerge from their state of feeling unable to respond.    From a couple years of reading posts like these on the forums, from hosts who seem literally unable to know how to respond to such a guest inquiry, I think referring to such hosts as "paralyzed" is not too far away from the mark.  

The point I was trying to make actually encompasses the perspective you were presenting -- which is, that host should not assume that a guest not presenting much information, is either intentionally hiding something, or will not cooperate and provide more information. It would quite likely benefit the puzzled and perplexed host to realize that the guest is not sure what to say and is trying to find a place quickly.   I am mainly encouraging hosts to just ask for more information.  If more hosts know how to ask questions of inquiring guests, more guests will learn about the kind of information hosts are looking for when guests inquire, and thus more guests will learn how to use the system and dialogue with hosts.  It does not actually take that much more effort on guests' part to write 6 or 8 sentences as opposed to 2 sentences.  So instead of saying, "Hi I'm MIke I am looking for a place. Is yours available?"  Mike could learn to add his photo to his profile, fill out verified email and verified phone number, and say, "Hi I'm Mike, a researcher in genetic biophysics from Boston University. I'm coming to your city by myself for a conference on Electron Microscopy, for 10 days this coming February.  Is your place available for ___ dates?  I have read the house rules and I will have no trouble following them.  Let me know if you have any questions for me."  

Martin-And-Lesley0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Whilst presenting the changes to Airbnb products at the Airbnb Open in Paris we were told that now/near future guests will have to supply a picture - which will be checked to see if it is a face, a validated email and a validated phone number before they can book.

So hopefully this question will be a thing of the past.

I for one like to "research" guests before they arrive and whilst we accept anonymous bookings there has always been a doubt in my mind about whether to or not. However all our guests so far have been wonderful  - even the ones with scary photos - and the suspicion we feel about strangers is what the terrorists in Paris want to instil in us. Lets not let them win and try and encourage the "belong anywhere" philosophy of Airbnb.

What would be really great would be to see what guests see at their end of the transaction (prompts, notices, responses, etc.) Even just a sample, not real, would do.  

The Open was in November. It's mid July and, sadly, that photo verification process has not been implemented.

We just had a cartoon character, otherwise fully verified, request a stay.

As you see on our Host profile, since there are several of us who do checkins/house calls during stays, we still use a seasonal photo.

It seems to causes less concern for guests than having a human other than the one pictured in the profile, show up.

We've not been asked to change it. Neither has Bob, the MAD magazine cartoon who requested a stay last week.

Nor New Member who requested a stay last month.

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

The good news for those who didn't attend AO15... Airbnb are introducing minimum requirements for new Guests to be able to book. This includes some verified ID (email and phone) along with a profile picture. 🙂

In the short time I've been a Host, what I've learned is what you see is what you get. People give samples of their behaviour. If someone is going to invest minimal time in their profile, contacting you, etc. they will invest minimal time in you and your home. It's about their needs.

This works very well if you have or want autonomy from the guest, but may not if you are sharing space with them or have specific requirements.

People are going to do what works for them. It's also why I don't subscribe to the "reach out to the guest to get them up to your requirements" concept. Sure, there may be the odd question going back and forth. And there may be a language impediment. But most of the time, people are what they are on their profiles. I may find them too sketchy, and they may find me too intrusive. 

Heather245
Level 2
Wallkill, NY

I'm in agreement with ...Just Mandi.  I've been hosting for just about 2 years. I just had a "Mike" - quite literally named Mike - who not only didn't have any information in his profile except a picture, he also didn't answer very direct questions in our message exchange.  He seemed intent to book and focused on assuring me he would pay according to my listing for number of guests, etc. I don't feel as if I am unfairly discriminating, I just believe that in order for everyone to have a postive experience, I also need to feel safe and comfortable.

AirBnB is a great resource for guests AND hosts. It is still not a hotel service, and I for one am not willing to act as if my home is a hotel. Everyone will have a different threshold, of course, but for newbies, until you get in the swing of things and learn where your comfort level is, I'd recommend hosting guests with at least a photo and verified government ID already in their profiles.