Guest insurance covered by guest should be available from Airbnb.

Cristina838
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Guest insurance covered by guest should be available from Airbnb.

I had guests staying for 2 months. Before they arrived I personally made sure to replace towels, sheets, any anything I thought looked tired. I do this every 4 months. I like everything to be as close to prefect as I can. I enjoy it and my guests appreciate it!

Well these guests, broke dinnerware, towels, lamps, glasses, mugs, lost brand new safety vests, stained 90% of the towels and 2 brand new sets of sheets, they are not good anymore, they damaged a sofa, the kids jumped on the sofa and made a hole under the cushion, the stove was never cleaned, they did not close the windows during the rain and the drapes got damaged, etc.  Also forced themselves into my personal closet, that was locked, they used my towels, cleaning supplies, and personal belongings. The frame of the closet has a hole and the marks of being forced open.

The interior plants were never watered, I asked them to water them, but they did not noticed they were dying. They damaged almost everything you can think of. After I complained he texted me: is your word against mine. I opened a case with Airbnb and sent photos of broken things and a screenshot of his words. I am still fighting for payment, I feel that guests are more protected than owners. I usually ask for a refundable security deposit from my guests before they check in. And I have no problem getting it, I refund it after 2 days of their check-out day.  If they brake a glass or two I will not charge for that but if something larger happens, then I use that deposit providing photos and invoices for replacement.  99% of the times, guests apologize and understand. This last guest said Airbnb takes care of any accidents we may have and refused to pay the security deposit. I had listing in Homeaway, they have insurance available for the guests, 3 options that will cover damages, it is not expensive and it works. They feel better getting insurance and we as owners feel supported. Because fighting against bad guests is a bad experience, they lie, they are mean and dishonest. Airbnb is made of owners that try our best to give a great experience to the guests, and we are the company, we need more support form you.

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

So are you saying you claimed on Airbnb guarantee and they refused the claim @Cristina838 

The guest paid for part of the claim. But not all. I am still waiting for the case to be resolved.

I had bad experience before, with 2 guests and they denied everything and left a bad review. This was for a property I used to have in Cancun. Many times i just let go on damages that cost me money but they don't affect me significantly. I know small accidents may happen.

For those 2 different guests I was never refunded by Airbnb for the damages they caused. I feel very vulnerable now, and I knew it was a matter of time for me to have a bad experience again.

A refundable security deposit for $200 US is what I ask for. If you think about it, if they trash my house in a bad way, is not going to cover much. But al least they are more careful and mindful of the house. The best solution is guest insurance (travel insurance), everyone is happy, and the cost is fair for the guests.