Guest is threatening to report me

Melanie189
Level 3
Knoxville, TN

Guest is threatening to report me

Recent guest left a huge mess in my condo. I requested money for additional cleaning that it caused. Guest is now threatening to report me for extortion. Have any of you had experience with this? Will Airbnb just take their word for it and suspend me?

11 Replies 11
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Melanie189  Contact Airbnb right away and tell them what this guest has done. Hopefully his threat to report you for extortion was sent on the Airbnb messaging system? And that the request for $ for additional cleaning was done through the site, not you asking him for cash?

It's actually the guest who is committing extortion- threatening to report you because you asked for additional funds to cover the mess I assume he left behind.

Melanie189
Level 3
Knoxville, TN

@Sarah0 yes it was all sent via Airbnb. I did report the guest to Airbnb explaining the situation and I did request the $ through Airbnb with attached pictures.  Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it!

@Melanie189  if your guest doesn't want to pay you should involve Airbnb. 

Extortion would be if you would ask him money in return for the good review. As you are asking him money for the damage this is not extortion.

But just to warn you - you will not get any money for cleaning his mess. Only if he damaged something or if you have to dry clean your carpet for example ( you should have the receipt or the estimate from licensed contractor/repair service/dry cleaning service)

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @I figured I wouldn't get it but was so mad at the time. I also have not left him a review yet because I did not want to leave an emotional one. It was going to be a bad review regardless if he agreed to pay me or not but now I'm afraid to leave one in fear that it will look like I left a bad one just because he refused to pay.  Any advice? Thank you so much

@Melanie189 

leave an honest, short , unemotional and factual review to warn his future hosts.

Don't mention the damage claim and the outcome of it because your review will be removed.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 will do. Thank you for your help! 3 years and over 300 guests and this one has been the worst. 

@Melanie189  oh... messy guest is always arround the corner, there is at least one for each of us, sooner or later we will be the lucky ones to meet him 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0  I seem to have gotten that out-of-the-way on my second guest over 2 years ago:-) Sweet girl, but left a total pigsty behind her. I didn't expect it at all, as she cleaned up after herself in the shared kitchen. Hasn't ever happened since, knock on wood.

@Melanie189, you HAVE to leave a review! Do not feel bad. You cannot mention anything about the Airbnb resolution case though or it will be removed. If the guest left a huge mess it needs to be documented. Keep it short and simple. "Guest left the space considerably dirty and messy which resulted in several extra hours of cleaning. Unfortunately, cannot recommend." Then a big thumbs down will ensure that they never book with you again.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sarah977 

I am happy if the guest didn't break anything, has returned all the keys and the remote controller for the parking closed the door at departure and didn't pee in bed 😄

We had broken toilet, overturned 2,20 cm high wardrobe closet, broken bedframe,  window, wall mirror, and sofa bed, a leaking boiler, lost keys... all with back to back bookings. It was stressful 🙂

Poor you 😞  😞  😞

One advantage to just hosting a private room in one's home is that it's difficult for guests to create that much damage. Or sneak in extra guests.