Guest just canceled, was supposed to check in tomorrow....Do I still get paid in full?

Guest just canceled, was supposed to check in tomorrow....Do I still get paid in full?

I have a "moderate" cancellation policy, so does that mean I still get paid in full since she's canceled within the 5 days?  

There's no way I'll get it re-booked as it's for the next 2 nights.  She hasn't initiated an actual cancellation on the app/website I don't think, she just messaged me a little bit ago that she is staying longer in the mountains to ski since the snow is so great.  

Is there anything I need to do or just let her handle, either canceling on her end or leaving the reservation as-is?

13 Replies 13
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Let your guest initiate any cancellations.  Airbnb will handle refunding any/all she is owed upon her cancellation.  DO NOT cancel on your own, as the system will see it as a host-initiated cancellation and penalize you.

Rupesh1
Level 2
Mumbai, India

@Claire-and-Jeff0 - Please contact your guest and ask them to intiate the refund or you wont get any amount.

Refer the following link for complete policy - https://www.airbnb.co.in/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels

@Rupesh1 This is incorrect: If a guest does not cancel then AirBnB assumes they have stayed and you receive full payment approx 24 hours after check in date.

If the guest cancels, then the amount you receive depends on your chosen cancellation policy. 

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

@Cynthia-and-Chris1 Has offered the correct advice. The other advice is wrong. 

Why do I have to wait until after the guest checks in to get paid by airbnb? Is there a way to get the money up front?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Jeff169

If you have a question, do start your own thread, rather than posting in the middle of someone else's, as it will get lost and is confusing 🙂

When you sign up to Airbnb one of the key terms is that they pay you normally within 48 hours of the guests checking in. This is because Airbnb offer guests the opportunity to cancel within 24 hours of check in if the listing is not as described for example air conditioning not working, dirty property etc.

If you want money in advance of people staying you will need to look at hosting through different listing companies.

John127
Level 1
Orange, Australia

A guest staying for 2 nights just cancelled about 30 minutes before they had said they would arrive.  They messaged me saying their daughter had had a car accident, so I feel for them.  But as a host, will I be paid? 

I know this may seem a bit mercenary on my part, but I'm not sure what Airbnb's policy is re. last minute cancellations . . . 

Hi @John127 Airbnb will handle it according to your chosen cancellation policy - yours is "Flexible", so if the guest cancels less than 24 hours before check-in, the first night is non-refundable, but they will be fully refunded for any other nights. Hopefully your guest did the cancelling and didn't ask you to do it for them? - Karen

So far they haven't cancelled at all. 

And another quick question. What are the Levels? EG I'm Level 1, others are Level 10 ...

@John127 It just means the number of posts you have made on this forum - the more posts, the higher the level. It in no way ensures that a Level 10 knows any more than a Level 1. 🙂

The reason I ask about the cancellation is that there is an option for guests to be able to ask the host to cancel for them - the benefit to the guest is that if the host does it, they are also refunded their Airbnb fees in full. But it's then considered a host cancellation and penalties apply - the dates are blocked so no one else can book them, there can be a fine ($50, $100) and the host is ineligible to become a Superhost for a year. If you get an email that says "X would like to cancel, is that ok with you?" or some such wording, don't agree - say no, you are fine to continue the booking. It then goes back to the host and they have to do the cancelling. They lose their booking fees. Hope that helps! Karen

Thanks Karen. I've only been a host for abt one year, and sometimes Airbnb seem to have weird and quite hardline policies. John. 

My guest has just cancelled 2 hours before check-in, does this mean I still get paid?

Ros14
Level 2
Glengowrie, Australia

It depends on what cancellation policy you have nominated...