Guest leaves 2 star review but doesn't stay in house

Simon364
Level 4
Colchester, United Kingdom

Guest leaves 2 star review but doesn't stay in house

Hi I wonder if anyone could help please.

First I should say I am a Superhost with very good feedback from all my previous guests. I always try to be flexible to help my guests.

However in this case I had one challenging guest. He had booked single bed for 28 days, but a few days before arrival he asked if his girlfriend could come also. I explained that is was only a small room with single bed so it wasn’t possible. He was on strict cancellation policy so after a few messages of trying to sort a solution (that was discussed on another thread here!), as a goodwill gesture I offered 50% refund , and if I could fill the room, then he would get the rest of the money.

He declined that offer but said he would come 14 days later, for two weeks only. He eventually arrived but had his girlfriend with him, and they both brought all of their stuff into the house. After making him welcome with coffee etc, I asked what the girlfriend’s plan was. He spent a lot of time trying to persuade me to let her stay in the single bed with him, but I said it wasn’t possible (as I had said in all the messages). I was surprised that they had no contingency, but he said she would stay with a friend nearby  - he wasn’t happy, as he wanted to stay with her.

In addition he kept changing his arrival dates. On the day he was due to arrive I asked him what time he expected to be there, he said in fact it would be the next day. So on the next day I asked him again his arrival time. I didn’t get any reply, until 11.45pm (when I was asleep) saying he would arrive at 1.30am from the airport (I didn’t get these messages until the morning as I was asleep)

In the end they never stayed at my place and when I got my review it was a two star. In the personal feedback to me he explained why:

1. He wasn’t happy that I did not make an effort to sort out accommodation for his girlfriend  (even though it had been discussed)
  2. I didn’t reply to his 11.45pm message and let him in at 2am (even though I had chased him for his arrival time that day and previous days)

From what I have read, it isn’t likely that AirBnB will let me challenge the star rating, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts. Also I would like to change my own responses to these situations so it doesn’t happen again, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Additionally I have also heard, that if the guest does not even stay in the property , then the review/star can be removed. Is there any basis in this? (Luckily, in the personal message to me , the guest states categorically that he didn’t stay there)

21 Replies 21

thank you for your reply. yes, I have been lucky so far and hopefully the two stars won't dent my average  star rating, as the other reviews have been good

What would you do if a guest doesn't tell you when they are arriving (even though you have asked when they are coming), and sends a message at 11.45pm when you are asleep?

@Simon364  I turn my phone ringers off when I go to bed, so a guest like that would have to go find somewhere else to stay 🙂

When you ask guests for crucial information, it's a good idea to frame it as being all about them not being inconvenienced, because they don't care about your need for info.

"I need to know your ETA, please, as I would hate for you to be left unable to enter if I am not available to let you in. Airbnbs do not have 24 hour reception."

Simon364
Level 4

Thanks I really appreciate this kind of advice. It means that I can be crystal clear, and at the same time be as helpful as possible - without being a 24hour service!

@Simon364  same as you  🙂

When my guests don't respond about their arrival time I send them the last message:

It seems I still don't have your exact time of arrival but no problem, you can call me when you arrive on location and I will do my best to come and meet you within an hour.

They always respond within minutes 🙂

Yes great advice - thank you!

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Simon364 ugh. So sorry this guest unsurprisingly turned out to be a Royal PITA. In the future, when someone puts up that many red flags, do whatever it takes to get the booking cancelled. In this case, with clear indications that the guest would very likely be showing up with an extra person, you could have asked Airbnb to cancel it neutrally, as your listing isn’t a good fit for the guest. 

You can try to get the review removed either on the basis that it’s completely irrelevant, or based on his complaint to you about not allowing his girlfriend to stay (which you were under no obligation to do, and had told him that you wouldn’t). Pick one, not both, otherwise you’ll  overwhelm the CS rep and get shut down. 

Simon364
Level 4

thanks Colleen - I think I will do the second - as he is quite clear in his review to me that he was unhappy that I didn't let his GF stay and was pressurising me to do so