Guest leaves after 30 minutes stating place was filthy and stunk.

Anthony1336
Level 2
Albany, NY

Guest leaves after 30 minutes stating place was filthy and stunk.

Hi all, for the first time in over a year I have a guest leaving after stating the house was “filthy, hot, and stinks”. She said she took pictures and video of the property. They said they’re checking into a hotel instead. 

Im confused because I have a thorough cleaning practice including bleaching all surfaces, and all covers for the furniture that get washed between guests. I have a hepa grade vacuum as well as hepa air filters on both floors. My property is dog friendly, and that is advertised. They brought a dog, and she said the dog bed provided was “filthy”….

I have a 4.9 overall review with 30+ guests and this is the first negative experience anyone has had. 

I have a strict cancellation policy, and she has yet to cancel. I don’t want a bad review, this guest has 0 Airbnb reviews if that’s any relevance. 

do I give them a full refund? Do I charge them for the cleaning fee? They literally left after 20 minutes… 

3 Replies 3
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Anthony1336 and welcome to ABB CC from across the lands and oceans in Auckland, New Zealand.

What a most unfortunate situation.

Do you clean the property yourself or have someone in to do the cleaning?
It is sometimes an idea to take photos between Guests and when they have checked out as a backup.

Maybe the smell of the bleach was too overpowering and that is why the Guest said it stinks, perhaps you could message them to seek clarification as to what the smell was that they are complaining about?

It is optional if you wish to refund any of the fees they have paid to stay in your property, however be mindful you have the right to not make any refund at all as you have also been equally disadvantaged in not been able to re-advertise the property to make up for your Guest/s deciding to not stay.

With your policy being a Strict Cancellation there would have to be concrete reasons to request or follow through with one.

Best to keep things amicable and 'Focus on Future' Guests.

Be mindful you do have Right of Reply should they write a review, meanwhile perhaps be pro-active and address the matter through the message system if need be.

All the best

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

obviously, her plans changed and this is her way out of your strict cancelation policy. This is a common practice. Some hosts even take photos before each check-in for proof against such scummers. She will complain to Airbnb and will try to get a full refund. Have you been there since she left? They may have set the scene and made a mess themselves and took pictures.

She is probably experienced but guests can make a new profile after each bad review, maybe that's why she has 0.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Anthony1336 it is up to them to cancel, or not. If they cancel they will be refunded whatever amount your cancellation policy allows. In either case they will be able to review. In your shoes I would message them via Airnb: "I'm surprised and sorry that our place did not meet your expectations. Please cancel your reservation via Airbnb and we will refund you whatever amount we can recoup by rebooking your dates."