Guest leaving appliances on

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Guest leaving appliances on

I am just curious if anyone has had to deal with a guest before who left appliances on and just didn't care.  I recently had a pair of men stay in my home who thought nothing of leaving the stove on, the water running, and the refrigerator door open after they cooked their meals.  I spoke to them several times and at first they denied they had left appliances on; however, as I work at home during the day, at lunch time I caught them red handed walking away from a stove left on and water running in the sink.  I made it very clear this was a major safety issue and to be careful in the future.  One of the men did his best after that but the second one still didn't care and often would leave the water running and stove on after eating.  I thankfully live and work full time in my home so could catch this when it happened.  I haven't left a review yet, but am curious how others have handled this kind of thing.

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Anthony608  Never had a guest do that. It's absolutely bizarre to me that anyone would just walk away from a sink leaving the water running. Did these people just get dropped out of a spaceship and are unfamiliar with how things work on earth?

I'd tell them if they can't remember to behave like normal adults, the kitchen is off-limits.

@Sarah977- I think its either the people are simply lackadaisical or they are completely disrespectful and selfish.  I have seen both in my residence.  I once had a man who obliviously stuck his hand into a moving rotating ceiling fan and have had a fair number of guests who will walk out the front door and don't close it behind them, simply because they are too engrossed in their own thoughts.

The issue with the two men with the appliances I have a sense was just straight up disrespect.  They were probably used to leaving lights on, appliances on, and water running in hotel rooms and didn't even think that an AirBNB was any different.  At last they made an effort to correct this problem once confronted, or at least one of them did.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If they continued to do this after I had asked them not to, I would have asked Airbnb to cancel there booking @Anthony608 

@Helen3- I made it very clear to them that their behavior was unacceptable and it was an extremely serious thing to leave water running and the stove on.  I also stressed that they could actually start a fire this way, as well as with leaving exhaust fans running for hours on end  when such fans are normally only designed to be run for upwards of 45 minutes to an hour.  They got the message and my record of never having to kick anyone out remains intact.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Okay that's confusing @Anthony608  in your initial post you stated the second guest still continued to leave the stove on and water running after being asked not to .

but no you appear to saying their bad behaviour stopped after you spoke to them ... which is it? 

@Helen3- The second man was a bit stubborn and had to be spoken to a few more times, but eventually he stopped this behavior as well.  The two of them were saying very strange things about how they left everything on since that was how it was where they lived (they came from an Asian country) and also they thought the kitchen was too hot and so they ran the water and left the fans on.  Didn't explain why the stove was left on since wouldn't that keep the kitchen warm as well?

The two were also very new to AirBNB and made some alarming statements about how they were going to stay in the room for a few extra days and "pay me later in cash".  I made it very clear that when the reservation was up they would need to leave and wouldn't be able to get back into the house once their door code expired and the room was stripped and cleaned by our housekeeper. 

Still, 85% of their stay there were no issues and it was a lengthy booking, so I am not complaining too much.