Guest leaving early, refund amount in dispute

Nicole1470
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Guest leaving early, refund amount in dispute

I have a guest that originally booked for 24 nights, but needs to leave 7 nights early for work. My current cancellation policy allows for a refund of 50% of the nights not staying.

However, when the guest sent through the request, it indicates a full refund for those nights. I want to accept the date change but edit the money paid back. Do I decline the change and send the guest a new alteration? 

5 Replies 5
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Nicole1470 an alteration is not a cancellation. Yes, decline the request they entered and then create your own. You may have to manually create the dollar amount to get it to come out right.

Alternatively, tell the guest that they must choose the "cancel" button, not "change"

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Nicole1470To avoid any issue related to the calculation of refund amount, I would suggest a cancellation initiated by the guest on the date when the guest to leave. You can ask the guest to contact Airbnb support about it.

I had a long-term guest who booked for 3 months and stayed for 25 days. Her company re-assigned her to SF which is 35 miles away to work. I told her that an alteration would not be applicable in this case and asked her to consult Airbnb support, which she did. She finally canceled the trip and I got paid based on long-term cancellation policy. I did tell her if the dates freed were re-booked, she would be refunded partially according to the number of days booked.

@Nicole1470 The guest needs to cancel from her side an she will get her money according to your cancellation policy. You do not have to do a thing. You will get a message that your guest cancelled and the new pay out is updated automatically. It is a problem that guests believe they can just change the reservation in order to avoid the cancellation policy.

So yes, definitely decline any request. The guest needs to cancel the day she leaves. 

Nicole1470
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks all, what was confusing me was the difference between cancellation and alteration. I have sorted it all out now! Appreciate your advice

Manasui0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

declining a refund request are not the same as declining or cancelling entire booking.. yes should go for alteration

Jeffrey Bong