Guest leaving sooner

Sylvie130
Level 2
Vicenza, Italy

Guest leaving sooner

Hello, my guest are from Turkey and with what is happening there they have change some plans and leave a bit earlier. I want to be fair with them and offer a partial refund even if it is not so convenient for me right now. I have difficulty to understand how to do this. The site sais Go to resolution center, under select a reason choose offer partial reimbursement. Enter the desired amount...

I do not have this option in the choices offered. Is it because they are close to the end of there stay?

I have read many article but nothing was very similar to my case. thank you

3 Replies 3
Louise79
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Lovely guests - good communication, no complaints whatsoever! Prior to moving in, Guest requested a change from 17 (or 18) days to 13 days even though the reservation had been made quite some time in advance. I accepted the change mentioning that it would be good to make the change before moving in which would trigger pay-out by Airbnb to my account. Done. Now Guest and family have been here for 12 nights, the appreciated pay-out has been on my account for a while, and the Guest requests a reservation change. He would like to move out tomorrow (9/12/16); today is 9/11/16; told me yesterday on 9/10/16. I believe this is no longer a change in reservation, rather a refund or partial refund. 

I've looked at my choices entered earlier this year, I believe (although right now, I can not find them again on the site), and having chosen the 'Moderate' cancellation policy, I note that the Guest, with Host's agreement, can expect a partial refund, i.e. 50% of nights not spent starting at 24 hours after acceptation by Guest (therefore, Host, as well). I have not accepted the request yet. 

But the Guest proposed a change in RESERVATION posted by Airbnb lowering the already paid-out sum from USD 2838 to USD 1980.

I told him that I would have great difficulty reimbursing this sum and that I would look for guidance on the Airbnb site. At the rate of $218.31/night (2939/13 = $218.31 - payout amount), or $858 / 5 = $171.60/night (calculation of pay-out difference divided by the number of nights spent), shouldn't I have to refune 50% of that sum if I accept and not the entire 5-day cost?

How can I be sure to reimburse the 50% amount and not the entirety?

I note: the reason for the shortened stay has to do with the Guests' good fortune and not any complaints on either side. Guests' belongings are still in the space and Guest has the keys (9/11/16). Many thanks in advance for your help.

We also had guests who wanted to leave a couple of days early (just to get home early, for no bad reason). They gave me plenty of warning, so I thought 'do the right thing' and put in a request to shorten their trip. [you can do that from your guest's details page] . Also i thought with the added advantage that it would release a weekend plus following unbooked week for other possible guests. Unfortunately (1) they didn't realise that they had to accept the changes, which they didn't do until after they had left. Too late for people looking to book the week. They got 2 days refund = I lost those 2 days of money.

Second unfortunate is that they actually left the apartment in a state in the kitchen - not obvious at first glance. Grease everywhere, and I mean everywhere, and broken glass. Oven burnt, tablecloth scorched. What can I do? Claim damages? Put in bad review? Or continue cleaning and just pass a comment in my writeup?

Hello margaret and Andy,

I am so sorry for your not so good experience.  Could you nicely write that the place was not spicandspan when they left. I always look at comments and on the web to accept people. It is a service for us that trust the comment section. In the private space for comment you can tell them that you have lost renting days to accomodate them and you had to clean way more than you should have.

Sylvie