Guest lied about who was staying when they requested the booking

Taylor353
Level 1
Gold Coast, Australia

Guest lied about who was staying when they requested the booking

Hi everyone, 

I am very new to airbnb and over the weekend I had a guest stay in one of our rooms. She booked saying she wanted to get away for the night with her family. From her profile I could tell she was a middle aged lady. 

Come check-in and a heap of teenage kids showed up. I messaged the number provided and she informed she the booking wasn't for her but for her teenage daughter and her friends to stay instead. They show up with lots of alcohol and more people than I assumed were staying. She tried to tell me that they wont make noise and they will be well behaved. We had been messaging all week and she never once mentioned she or her family were staying. I even provided champagne on arrival and Im not even sure these kids were 18!

Luckily they respected the rules and the room was tidy but it put me in a very uncomfortable situation because I ask for the bookings to be requests first for this reason I am living on my own and like to ensure I am comfortable with who is staying. 

I wanted to send her a message of the uncomfortable situation she put me in but I am worried about her leaving me a bad review. I wanted to also make a note of this in her review. Should I report her or is this quite common? 

Any feedback would be great!

1 Reply 1

@Taylor353 You would have been well within your rights to refuse entry to the group of teenagers and cancel the booking. Of course it should be reported and reviewed accurately. Third party bookings are not allowed, and a gaggle of unaccompanied minors could be a whole world of legal trouble. Besides, the last thing you want is for your listing to get into the news as the site of a superspreader event.

It does, unfortunately, happen pretty frequently that a guest books under false pretenses to throw a party. Your rules should be clearly state that no unregistered guests may enter the property, and be prepared to stand your ground and enforce that if a situation like this comes up again.